From the Getty Vocabulary Program, we send greetings and are hopeful that you are well. Here in Los Angeles, we are beginning to come back to the Getty offices slowly, after many months working from home. After our work-from-home period, we happily find ourselves at a significant milestone: We have essentially cleared out several thousand backlogged contributions to the Vocabularies! Please see the list of tasks completed January-June 2021 in the fuller report at https://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/guidelines/aat_monthly_new_recs.pdf .

Highlights include contributions that are already published or in-process (soon to be published) from Belvedere Galleries V‪ienna, Israel Museum Jerusalem, Built Works Registry, European Fashion Heritage Association, Florentine Codex, Portuguese terms from CVAABR and graduate intern, Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties, RKD, ANET, MoMA, Metropolitan Museum, Johnson Publishing Company archive, Department of Chicano and Latino Studies at the University of Minnesota, GCI AATA, among several others. If an institution, consortium, or research project wishes to contribute, please see information at this page https://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/contribute.html , including the scope of each Vocabulary.

Examples of new terms:

AAT:

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/aat/300443918  | light artists | <artists by medium or work type>, artists (visual artists), ... Agents

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/aat/300411168  | Cajamarca | Pre-Columbian Andean pottery styles, <Pre-Columbian Andean styles and periods>, ... Styles and Periods

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/aat/300390969  | brotherhood escutcheons | processional standards, standards (identifying artifacts), ... Objects

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/aat/300412136  | unsharp masking | masking (photographic process), <photographic processing and presentation techniques>, ... Activities

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/aat/300420298  | arcographs | drafting instruments, drafting equipment, ... Objects

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/aat/300444094  | zeons | liturgical vessels, liturgical containers, ... Objects

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/aat/300443571  | cumengeite | mineral, inorganic material, ... Materials

ULAN:

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500491340  | Eron (Italian street artist, born 1973) | Persons, Artist

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500491372  | Nakagawa, Susumu (Japanese-American photographer, born 1888) | Persons, Artists

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500491373  | Boulard, Michel-Jacques (French upholsterer and tapestry weaver, 1761-1825) | Persons, Artists

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500512423  | Group of Seven (Canadian artist group, founded 1920, disbanded 1933) | Corporate Bodies

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500512424  | Franco, Rodolfo (Argentine watercolorist, 1889 or 1890-1954) | Persons, Artists

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500512430  | Chun, Kwang-Young (South Korean sculptor, born 1944) | Persons, Artists

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ulan/500491769  | Weith, Maria (Austrian painter, 1884-1950) | Persons, Artists

TGN:

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/tgn/8721790  | Tal-e Malyan (deserted settlement) | Fārs, Iran, ... World

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/tgn/8716229  | Plazuelas (deserted settlement) | Guanajuato, Mexico, ... World

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/tgn/8716225  | Velika and Mala Crljivica (deserted settlement) | Splitsko-Dalmatinska Županija, Croatia, ... World

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/tgn/8721781  | Chapada dos Veadeiros (region (geographic)) | Goiás, Brazil, ... World

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/tgn/8721774  | Ropotamo (deserted settlement) | Burgas, Bulgaria, ... World

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/tgn/8721730  | Cibao Noroeste (general region) | Dominican Republic, North and Central America, World

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/tgn/8716270  | Wilson Mesa (area) | San Miguel, Colorado, ... World

CONA:

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/cona/700009703  | Saint’s Paradox | installation (visual work); Regina Silveira (Brazilian installation artist, sculptor, an...; created 1994, adaptations 1998...; Museu de Arte Contemporanea da Universidade de Sao Pau...

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/cona/700009704  | Angkor Wat | temple complex; under Suryavarman II; early 12th century; Angkor Wat (Siem Reab, Kampuchea, Asia, World...

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/cona/700002925  | Temple of Heaven | complex (buildings and sites); first built by Ming Chengzu (1360-1424); extended by Ming Sh...; construction 1406 to 1420; ext...; Beijing (Beijing Shi, Zhongguo, Asia, World, ...

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/cona/700009685 | Totocalco (storehouse) storehouse; unknown Aztec; under Montezuma II; 15th century; Mexico City (Distrito Federal, México, North and Central ..

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/cona/700009683  | Cultural Crossroads of the Americas | art, public; Bob Haozous (Warm Springs Chiricahua Apache sculptor and met...; 1996; Albuquerque (Bernalillo, New Mexico, United States, North an...

IA:

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002386  |  Atargatis (Syrian deity)

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002387  |  Allat (Arabian deity)

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002341  | Inari (Shinto character)

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002335  | En no Gyōja (Buddhist character)

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002315  | Crow Fair (American history, began 1904)

Patricia

Patricia Harpring, PhD
Managing Editor, Getty Vocabulary Program
Getty Research Institute
T (310) 440 6353  |  getty.edu
http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/