Dear colleagues,

As communicated previously, the Artist Files SIG is planning an upcoming session focused on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and artist files on Monday, August 9, 10 am PT / 1 pm ET on Zoom.

This one-hour session will begin with a selection of lightning talks followed by wider group discussion.

If you are interested in sharing a brief presentation to the group on any EDI initiatives that you or your organization have undertaken in relation to artist file collections, please contact Artist File SIG Co-Coordinators Rebecca Friedman ([log in to unmask]) and Sara Ellis ([log in to unmask]) by Friday July 30.

To facilitate group discussion, some guiding questions have been developed:

  • In what ways have BIPOC artists, 2SLGBTQ+ artists, and artists from underrepresented or marginalized groups been excluded from, or remain hidden within, artist files?
  • How can we, as art information professionals, improve representation in artist file collections and/or make visible such collections that may, in fact, present a more diverse set of artists than those represented in general library collections?
  • How can we work to decolonize artist file collections and challenge the deeply entrenched colonial legacy of artist file/archival collections?
  • What are some best practices, considerations and/or barriers for engaging in this work?
  • How can we apply these practices at our respective organizations?
  • Are there specific initiatives that you, or others, have activated at your institution in this regard?
  • As many art information professionals consider how acquisitions are handled in general, from whom, and what new diverse voices could be brought in, are there unique ways of obtaining art ephemera in general?

If you are interested in attending, please indicate here: https://forms.gle/tXpZCrzLDhPj1R8g6 . We will send out a Zoom link to registrants in advance of the event.

We look forward to your participation,

Rebecca and Sara

Rebecca K. Friedman
Assistant Librarian

Marquand Library of Art & Archaeology
McCormick Hall
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ  08544
(609) 258-3163; main (609) 258-3783
http://library.princeton.edu/libraries/marquand