Good morning Collective,

I am happy to announce the new chair of the Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Committee is Alex Watkins and newest committee member is Karyn Hinkle.

Alex is the Associate Professor and Art & Architecture Librarian at the University of Colorado Boulder. Since joining ARLIS/NA in 2013, Alex has been a leader in the society. This includes positions as a past Chair of the Advocacy and Public Policy Committee and serving as Programming Co-Chair for the Salt Lake City Annual Conference. Over the past year, Alex has served on the D&I Committee as a member which includes working on the team that organized the virtual Diversity Forum for the Salt Lake City Conference and the team that developed the Diversity toolkit. Alex is an accomplished author and editor of several books and articles. Learn more about his scholarship related to D&I here:
https://scholar.colorado.edu/concern/book_chapters/j38607609 https://scholar.colorado.edu/concern/articles/nv9353537

Karyn Hinkle is the Visual and Performing Arts Librarian at the University of Kentucky. With over 14 years as a member of the society, she has served in several leadership roles as a past Chair of the Awards Committee and past Chair of the Wittenborn Book Award sub-committee. Karyn is interested in serving on the D&I Committee because the issues of inclusion and social justice are important to her. She admires the work the committee has done over the years and she hopes to build upon what has been established and contribute to what is to come. Furthermore, Karyn has demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and social justice through past positions in ARLIS/NA as a member of the Southeast Chapter's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force and DEI Advisory Board. She has served on her institution's EDI Committee for several years and on other university-wide equity groups.

There is one more position open on the Diversity and Inclusion Committee. If you are interested, please email Alex at [log in to unmask]

Learn more about the committee here: https://www.arlisna.org/organization/committees/80-diversity-committee

Please welcome Alex and Karyn to their new positions.

Kind regards,

Ms. Kai Alexis Smith, MSLIS

“Activism is my rent for living on the planet.” Alice Walker