Thank you Melissa for posting the link to this wonderful film about which I had heard but had not seen.  It is heroic.  It is sad.  There is a new government in place and yet nothing has changed at LC.  It was made in 2019 and the situation at the Library of Congress is still not resolved.  As a professional librarian looking at the people in this documentary, I was alternately proud of my profession and ashamed.  I hope ARLIS members will all take time to watch it.  It’s definitely worth your time.

Joan

From: ARLIS/NA List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Melissa Brown
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 8:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Inclusive Description in New York City, May 26, 2:00-3:30 pm

Hello ARLIS and apologies for the cross posting!

I hope this message finds you well after an inspiring conference week. We invite you to attend the upcoming joint  <https://www.nytsl.org/> NYTSL and  <https://www.arlisny.org/> ARLIS/NY event on inclusive description on May 26, 2021, 2:00-3:30 pm. In preparation for the program, we encourage you to watch the 2019 documentary  <https://www.library.dartmouth.edu/digital/digital-collections/change-the-subject> Change the Subject (if you have not already) to familiarize yourselves with the topic. Please see details below and here is a direct link to the event on the NYSTL website for more information and to register <https://www.nytsl.org/event-4311386> .

**********

 <https://www.nytsl.org/> NYTSL and  <https://www.arlisny.org/> ARLIS/NY are pleased to announce a joint program on the topic of current projects on inclusive description here in New York City.

Inclusive description seeks to use libraries’ metadata to bring forward the perspectives of marginalized communities and increase the discoverability and use of resources related to those communities.  The 2019 documentary film  <https://www.library.dartmouth.edu/digital/digital-collections/change-the-subject> Change the Subject brought widespread attention to this issue with its story of Dartmouth students who advocated first to Dartmouth’s libraries and then to Congress about officially changing the Library of Congress subject heading “Illegal aliens” to “Undocumented immigrants.”  While this effort has not yet been successful at the national level, individual organizations are now undertaking their own projects to remediate this specific subject heading and other harmful language in their catalogs and finding aids.

Please join us to hear presentations and Q&A from three organizations on their current work.

Speakers:
Inclusive Description at Columbia University Libraries: From “Change the Subject” to Action
Matthew C. Haugen, Rare Book Cataloger, Columbia University Libraries
Michele Wan, Special Collections Cataloging Librarian, Columbia University Libraries
"Changing the Subject” at Brooklyn Public Library and New York Public Library
Tomasz Kalata, Metadata Manager, Cataloging, BookOps (BPL/NYPL)
Steven Pisani, Assistant Director, Cataloging, BookOps (BPL/NYPL)
User-Driven Reparative Archival Description at New York University
Weatherly Stephan, Head of Archival Collections Management, NYU Libraries

Due to the COVID pandemic,  <https://www.nytsl.org/> NYTSL and  <https://www.arlisny.org/> ARLIS/NY are offering access to this virtual program free of charge.  Please consider supporting these organizations by becoming a member or by sending a  <https://www.nytsl.org/donate> donation on their respective websites.

Missy Brown | Cataloging and Metadata Librarian

PRATT INSTITUTE

200 Willoughby Avenue | Pratt Library LL | Brooklyn, NY 11205

phone: 4582 |  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

Pronouns: she, her, hers

 <https://www.pratt.edu/the-institute/diversity-and-inclusion/dei-allies/>

Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/membership/join-arlisna Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>