Hello friends!

I am at the super beginning stages of trying to bring a proposal up the administrative foodchain for an art and design branch library space within as yet-unfunded "new multi-cultural arts venue to include flexible performance space, gallery, instructional and practice rooms, office and administrative space, and a retail component" as a capital project in our campus's master space plan. My university has named visual and performing arts an "area of distinction" in our strategic goals and initiatives, and I think there is an opportunity to argue for a dedicate art and design library in this building (or in the studio arts building, assuming some programs and offices will relocate to a new building) in order to support and encourage greater creative research and scholarship productivity in visual disciplines.

I know the trend on college and university campuses is one of closure and consolidation of branch libraries of all kinds, so I am wondering if anyone has any recent experience in successfully proposing, opening, or even staving off closure, of their art and/or design branch library? Any words of wisdom? Is this a fool's errand? (If it helps, our only branch library is a music library, which is located in the university's School of Music building, and it is well-supported.)

Thank you!

--
Maggie Murphy (she/her)
Assistant Professor, Visual Art & Humanities Librarian

UNC Greensboro is a community of learners situated within a network of historical and contemporary relationships with Native American tribes, communities, parents, students, and alumni. I acknowledge that this land has long served as the site of meeting and exchange amongst a number of Indigenous peoples, specifically the Keyauwee and Saura. (Why are land acknowledgments important?)