Dear Colleagues:

After 25 years as the librarian and archivist at the Newark Museum of Art, I am retiring as of Friday, April 2nd.

I have had a wonderful career here, partly because of the institution that I have worked in, partly because of the collections that I have taken care of, but mainly because of the people whom I have worked with.

The Newark Museum of Art is a remarkable institution with a rich and important history, and I have been privileged to have been the keeper of that history.

I have been in charge of an impressive collection of books, pamphlets, and periodicals in the library and of exhibition histories, education documents, and administrative records in the archives. Among these many items are some real treasures, many of which are important not only for the information that they contain but for the human stories that they reveal.

I have worked very closely with some very smart people: very creative curators, very talented exhibit designers, extremely dedicated educators, both full-time and part-time, wonderful registrars, and administrators in marketing, development, finance, and overall strategy. Even the maintenance and security staff have been amazing.

From outside the museum, I have helped researchers, whether academic or independent scholars, museum professionals, teachers and students at all levels, collectors and other life-long learners. Some of them have become both personal and professional friends.

And of course, I have had the support of my fellow librarians and archivists in and around Newark, especially those associated with Arlis/NY. At the national level, I am thankful for the support of the members of Arlis/NA. I shall miss the stimulating conversations on the listserv and the jovial fellowship of the annual conferences.

Best of luck to all of you.

Sincerely yours,

William.

William A. Peniston, Ph.D.
Librarian/Archivist
The Newark Museum of Art

49 Washington Street, Newark, NJ 07102-3176
973.596.6625
www.newarkmuseumart.org

"We welcome everyone with inclusive experiences that spark curiosity and foster community."

[signature_11074582]<https://www.facebook.com/NewarkMuseum/>    [signature_1709018415] <https://twitter.com/NewarkMuseum>     [signature_456833630] <https://www.instagram.com/newarkmuseumart/>

Donate<https://www.newarkmuseumart.org/annual-fund> | NewarkMuseumArt<https://www.newarkmuseumart.org/>

[signature_1860216951]

Disclaimer