Thanks so much to Peter Blank and his work on behalf of ARLIS/NA and our profession.  Yes, I still recall that day when Peter sat in my office and we talked about his commitment to becoming an art librarian.  Over the course of my IU career, I was blessed with so many of these special opportunities to work with students and then to include them as my honored colleagues in our amazing profession.  And yes, I am still supporting the graduate scholarship in art & visual resources librarianship that I started at IU, and am excited to note that Peter has been one of our scholarship donors.  My wish would be that we could support all of our students who enter this specialization in what is now the Department of Library & Information Science at IU Bloomington.  May Peter enjoy his new journey in these incredible times.  B. J. Kish Irvine

From: ARLIS/NA List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Peter P Blank
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2021 3:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Peter Blank retiring

Greetings friends and neighbors,

It is with the usual bittersweet note of such missives that I announce May 31, 2021 as my last in-office day with Stanford Libraries. To be closely followed by a move to the Bainbridge Is., WA, area where I will join my dear, soon-to-be 99-year-old Dad in morning coffee trips, gardening chores, and, hopefully, a few Mariners games.

All the news that's fit to print herein:

Peter P. Blank announces retirement as Photography Curator for Special Collections with the Stanford Libraries

I am extremely pleased to also announce that my three-year term appointment position as Stanford Libraries' first Photography Curator will be replaced by an ongoing, base budget funded continuing Photography Curator position. We all know how difficult it is to create new positions in the base these days, so this quite wonderful news. The Stanford Libraries Photography Initiative is established. As I am not serving on the search committee, I am freely available to provide insight on the position should anyone wish to contact me. My pleasure.

I would be remiss if I failed to honor the stars in my personal heaven:

Betty Jo Irvine, head of the Indiana University Fine Arts Library. Who made all things possible. It was a long time ago I dropped into her office and blithely announced my intentions to become an art librarian. Many of us owe a huge debt of gratitude to BJ. (And hopefully an annual contribution to the B.J. Kish Irvine Graduate Scholarship in Art Librarianship at IU.). The stuff of legends.

Eileen Fry, head of the IU Slide Library and Fine Arts Visual Resource Center. Who provided me with a valuable, and second, example of what it meant to be a "professional." And I believe introduced me to the "relational database." The Joy!

Ross Day, head of the Robert J. Goldwater Library at the Metropolitan Museum of Art when he hired me. My first Boss. In hindsight I realize Ross's patience with a not so young know-it-all was well beyond what any supervisor should be expected... Yet, he hung with me those first three eye-opening years. Always supportive. I bow. Another exemplary role model who helped me realize how invaluable a small research library can be for its community. (No matter the size of your operation, at that point of one-on-one contact, we all work in "small" research libraries.)

Alex Ross, head of the Art & Architecture Library at Stanford. Who hired me... TWICE! If that's not being a glutton for punishment, I don't know what is. I learned from a pro's pro as to the rigors of informed collection building, how to work with dealers (such an important lesson that I hope is part of the continuing curriculum of art librarianship), the ins and outs of branch management..., the importance of good peer relationships... (it's an endless list - picture the rolled-up list unrolling across the floor...). We're having drinks this weekend, weather permitting.

Jack Perry Brown, head of the Ryerson & Burnham Libraries, The Art Institute of Chicago. The style! The aplomb! The bow ties! Jack provided me with an opportunity many of us seek at some point in our careers. How does one ever check the box of "experience in hiring and managing professionals" if no one offers you that first chance!? Jack gave me the chance. And that crew seems to be doing well. A shout out to Amy B, Amy T, Hannah, and Melanie. All Aces. And like all his predecessors, Jack was extremely supportive, encouraged me to continue my graduate studies in the history of photography, which was and is hugely important for me.

Thank you all more than I can possibly ever articulate.

And to all my wonderful ARLIS/NA colleagues, who shared all those wonderful conference dinners and parties (most of which my memory is bit fuzzy on...), I wish you peace and good health.

Peter Blank

====================

[For the most recent news and procedures on access to the Libraries, please view the latest access policies.]

Starstuff: science meets art, print meets photography, Galileo meets Linda Connor (Oct. 2020).

ReMix (July 2020). A Lens on Society.

Peter Blank

Photography Curator

Dept. of Special Collections (Room 220B)

557 Escondido Mall

Stanford Libraries

Stanford, CA  94305 – 6064

library.stanford.edu/spc

Stanford Libraries Photography Initiative

650.561.2392 Cell