Greetings Colleagues!

SECAC (formerly the Southeastern College Art Association) just announced a Call for Papers for their upcoming conference (hopefully) held this November in Lexington, KY. Michele Jennings (Ohio University) and I have a session listed in the CFP that is based around research we completed for an upcoming article in Art Documentation. If you are an artist or someone who also studies artists’ research practice, we would love for you to propose a paper for our session—and please share with folks in your network! Details about the conference and links to the CFP are listed below our session description in this email. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out!

Warmly,

Courtney

Artmaking as Knowledge Production: Research in Practice

Chairs: Courtney Hunt, The Ohio State University & Michele Jennings, Ohio University

Session Description: An article in the Spring 2021 issue of the journal “Art Documentation” examines the research habits of artists, with a particular focus on the research process through the perspective of artists themselves, rather than those of librarians or other research “experts.” Two artists were interviewed, Tomashi Jackson and Carmen Winant. Multiple threads emerged, but one of singular importance was how historical records and archives, complete with omissions as well as inclusions, affect the gathering of information by artists. This is especially true for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), women, and LGBTQ artists, for whom the historical record can be a patchwork with gaps and dotted lines. Subsequently, the authors noted the opportunity for art making to generate knowledge in its own right, building on materials as well as those informational gaps found through the research process. Papers in this session will address the research process involved in making art, either from the artists’ perspective or an art historical one. Research as a concept may be broadly applied, but of particular interest are the experiences of BIPOC, women, and LGBTQ artists in gathering information. Special attention will be paid to the embodiment of research in finished artwork.

The Call for Papers for SECAC 2021 in Lexington is now open at https://secac.secure-platform.com/a/solicitations/12/home.

A complete list of sessions is available at
https://secac.secure-platform.com/a/page/sessions.

Conference Dates: November 10 – 13, 2021
Venue: Hilton Lexington Downtown
Conference Director: Rob Jensen
Contact:
Call for Papers Dates: March 9 – May 4, 2021
Website:
https://secacart.org/page/Lexington

The School of Art and Visual Studies at the University of Kentucky is pleased to be hosting the 77th annual meeting of SECAC in Lexington, KY, from November 10–13, 2021. As its theme, the conference will engage in conversations centered around the social responsibilities of artists, designers, and academics in higher education. We hope the conference addresses at many levels the struggle against racism. We want to  promote scholarship and artistic practices that work toward a more just and ethical world. In addition to a return to what we hope will be a normal in-person conference, with panels, round-table sessions, exhibitions, and so on, conference attendees will be able to take advantage of the conference hotel’s central location in a vital downtown Lexington, which is also just a ten-minute walk from the UK campus.

If you wish to stop receiving email from us, you can simply remove yourself by visiting: [log in to unmask]*26h=0fcfe389a444505294fb76a40bed9fd57034a78f/1/0100017816d73901-dd738322-0ea0-4c06-97fb-68894b644c8e-000000/WlUu61Hf5nxxXdVcVM0-sKINwcE=204__;JSUlJSUlJQ!!KGKeukY!nRFb9FgJiJng2u0yuuqF1G8ID4dslwLsaITzVHqYSWA3bhig2Ik77wAUSlDrF5v3wQ$">http://secacart.org/members/EmailOptPreferences.aspx?id=57604263&[log in to unmask]&h=0fcfe389a444505294fb76a40bed9fd57034a78f

SECAC
PO Box 9773
Wilmington, DE 19809-9773

Courtney Hunt

Art & Design Librarian Assistant Professor

Pronouns: she/her/hers

The Ohio State University Libraries

Fine Arts Library

Wexner Center / Room 040L