A group within my university is developing a style guide that would include how to identify the regions where antiquity artworks originated, more aimed at communicating with general audiences, not so much with researchers and curators.
They gave examples such as a "Gold Coast Face Mask" could be re-described as a "Face Mask from the region that is now known as Ghana" or an "Assyrian Sculpture" could be described as originating from a region that now includes "Iraq as well as parts of Iran, Kuwait, Syria, and Turkey."

They've contacted the libraries asking if there a resource, a list, that might help them "create guidance on how to describe the origins of artworks accurately and equitably."

Does anyone know of a resource like this? We've already suggested Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names and LC Name Authority File.

You may reply to me directly or on the list.
Thank you!
Kay Teel, Metadata Librarian for the Arts,
Stanford Libraries, Stanford, California