5 Ways Art Libraries Can Celebrate Black History Month

    Are librarians griots? I ask myself this every time my heel crosses a library threshold. While we equally serve as keepers of the record, we have distinct differences in practice. Griots believe information must be told as it happens which leads me to question curatorial selection as a practice that may lend us to be more gatekeeper than preserver. As Black History Month draws to a close, here are ways to ensure history and the historical record include Black people.

  1. African American / Diaspora Museum and Gallery Partnerships

Partnerships with museums and galleries are a must. Perusing virtual bookstores for prospective purchases lend to finding contemporary Black artists to feature in Libguides and library instructions, workshops, presentations, or guest lecture opportunities. Examine your institution's collection. How inclusive is your Special Collection? Does it reflect the current state of ethnic exclusion in art libraries? How often are patrons shown Black letterpress artists like Amos Kennedy Jr., kennedyprints on Instagram, or artist book makers in your institution?

  1. Incorporate Reading Lists

Reading lists introduce literature that shaped a community, movement, and ideology. Readings are key to a deeper understanding of what shaped a mind and in 1968, the Black Panthers issued such a list to members. Additionally, musician and creator Sun Ra provided readings that shaped his intergalactic mind. These lists expand the dynamism of your catalog and offer a deeper engagement with people, organizations, and movements.

  1. Support Black Owned Bookstores

COVID-19 has been catastrophic to Black businesses. During a recent Roland Martin Unfiltered news segment, economist and president emeritus of Bennett College Dr. Julianne Malveaux stated that 40% of Black businesses have closed since the pandemic. As libraries support local bookstores we can additionally support local Black bookstores which may offer a different voice to subject areas. The Oprah Magazine article “125 Black-Owned Bookstores in America That Amplify the Best in Literature” outlines Black bookstores by state.

  1. Ensure Black People Are Represented In Every Subject

Roaming the stacks at a GLAM space I worked at, it dawned on me that someone was missing. I was searching for Black troops in Germany during WWII and found nothing, but “how could this be?” Africans served in the German military prior to the Nazi regime and there are accounts of Black American POWs segregated in concentration camps. I began to purchase these resources to ensure that the collection reflected a variety of experiences. As libraries ensure resources represent all subjects, we should ask ourselves, “who is missing?”

  1. Create a Book Club

One of the best ways to engage the community is through a book club. Hosting a reading group is a phenomenal way to ensure your community stays engaged, expands their knowledge, and celebrates Black contributions. The University of Richmond hosts a campus-wide book club which may be a great place to start if you want to create one of your own.

Image Credit

The COM Library. Black History Month on Display . February 4, 2020. FLICKR. https://flic.kr/p/2ip9gY5