Dear ARLIS/NA Colleagues:

In November 2019, ARLIS/NA asked OCLC to implement a tiered pricing model for FirstSearch/WorldCat Discovery subscriptions that offers a more equitable rate for smaller libraries.  For background information see the society's news item:  ARLIS/NA Advocacy: OCLC Subscription Pricing<https://www.arlisna.org/news/news-events/1939-arlis-na-advocacy-oclc-worldcat-subscription-pricing>.

I am pleased to report that after a year of discussions that were drawn out by the effects of the pandemic, OCLC is honoring this request by offering a substantial discount for smaller arts libraries.  OCLC has developed criteria for libraries that have OCLC Cataloging or CatExpress subscriptions but do not have a FirstSearch/WorldCat Discovery subscription.  Twenty libraries with ARLIS/NA members on staff have been identified.  OCLC will be contacting ARLIS/NA members at the qualifying institutions by March 1, 2021 to present a formal offer.  If you feel that your library meets the criteria but has not been notified, please feel free to get in touch with Carol Schlatter, [log in to unmask] at OCLC.

In addition, OCLC is making improvements to the WorldCat.org<https://www.worldcat.org/> interface to address some of the problems that were pointed out in the November 2019 communication.  Most notably, the message "Sorry, no libraries with the specified item were found" will no longer display; if a library that does not maintain a subscription to WorldCat Discovery creates a cataloging record and is the unique holding library, the user will be directed to the library holding the resource.

I would like to point out that advocacy happens in a variety of places in our organization and that change can be brought about both at the grassroots and at the leadership levels.  ARLIS/NA is comprised of members passionate about matters from the services we offer to our constituents to our rights as professionals.  If you want to see action around a specific topic, please get in touch with the ARLIS/NA Advocacy and Public Policy Committee<https://www.arlisna.org/organization/committees/86-advocacy-public-policy-committee> or the executive board<https://www.arlisna.org/organization/executive-board>.   We work together to make decisions on the most effective course of action, issue by issue.  Finally, thanks to Sam Duncan, Head of the Research Library at the Amon Carter Museum of American Art for persevering on this important issue and to Bruce Crocco, OCLC Vice President for Library Services for the Americas, for listening to ARLIS/NA's concerns and working with his organization to come up with a fair solution.

Best, Laura

Laura Schwartz
Arts & Humanities Collection Strategist
Visual Arts Librarian
Subject Librarian for Film Studies
UC San Diego
858-534-1267

Past-President
Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA)