Dear friends and colleagues,

I am looking for advice from institutions with collections of modern dealers' records. In the last couple of years, we have added a few modern antiquarian book dealers' records to the Grolier Club Library, and I am concerned about providing access to sensitive information relating to relatively recent transactions (e.g. from the last couple of decades). Examples include customers' financial account information; bank statements; documentation of purchases that individuals might not want to be made public, etc.

Does anyone have a policy with a blanket restriction period for sensitive materials like these? I noticed the Getty has restricted some of their records for 70 years, for example. Do you ask the donor to separate this material out upon arrival, or does your staff pick through it? Any other words of advice?

Thank you,
Meghan
--
Meghan Constantinou