The name change is a good thing Natisha.  “Diversity and Inclusion” is a phrase that was very popular in the early nineties.  In 1993, as director of the Center for the Study of Art and Culture (CSAC) I developed (with professional D & I  trainers) a multi-part workshop for Los Angeles museum workers in the spring called “Diversity and Inclusion: Making It Work in Your Museum.”  The workshop attracted teams from 17 museums made up of trustees as well as all levels of museum staff.  It was so popular that we had to offer a second session in the fall.  Based on feedback we received from participants, I think it was valuable, but in retrospect I am sorry that of the participants, there were only a few people of color, especially Black workers.

Joan

From: ARLIS/NA List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Natisha Harper
Sent: Thursday, January 7, 2021 1:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] What’s In A Name: Adding Inclusion

What’s In A Name: Adding Inclusion

In late November, Diversity Committee Advisor Lindsay King presented the option to add to the ARLIS/NA Diversity Committee title. The change was presented to the Board who voted to support the addition for the committee to become officially known as the ARLIS/NA Diversity and Inclusion Committee! My thanks to Lindsay and the Board for making this possible.

Need For Change

According to a Google keyword search, the second definition of diversity is defined as, “the practice or quality of including or involving people from a range of different…” (Definitions From Oxford Languages). See what happened there (thinking face emoji)? The addition of “including or involving” highlights a responsibility or effort needed for diversity to be possible.

Focus

In placing inclusion prominently in the title, it centralizes the ARLIS/NA Diversity and Inclusion Committees commitment to create initiatives that support community building efforts that work to place library workers of color as part of a whole and not invisibly on the periphery.

Why change the name?

  • To show that while libraries may have multicultural staff, resources, or initiatives, they have not historically been inclusive to library workers of color
  • To highlight what is needed for diversity to occur, using this definition
  • To support initiatives that place POC library workers as part of the whole of a library
  • User error, as Chair, I added inclusion to the title -  possibly TBI related

Natisha Harper, MLIS (3)

ARLIS/NA Diversity and Inclusion Chair

Karynne Courts, of Mindessence - "a visionary leader constantly and flexibly adjusts the lenses to meet the needs of their audience"; so I think the same thing may apply to engagement, it’s important to think about the audience and adjust to their needs."