Statement from the Diversity and Inclusion Committee Chair

The acts of dissent, violence, and treason that took place Wednesday was a reminder of the impact totalitarian regimes have historically had on libraries. Folks unhappy with the results of a democratic election, took over the Capitol Building with brothers in arms who roamed the halls towing Confederate Battle flags, a symbol of sedition. As the Vice President sheltered in a bunker, my heart went out to fellow library workers whose only option was to face these terrorists. Dissenters stained the nation's capital with their privileged chaos, to leave without repercussion. To librarians in Washington DC and the surrounding areas, I am proud to be in your ranks, but am devastated that you went through this. I extend heartfelt support as you try to reconcile with what has happened.

Be Well.

Natisha Harper, MLS (2.5)

ARLIS/NA Diversity and Inclusion Chair

Karynne Courts, of Mindessence - "a visionary leader constantly and flexibly adjusts the lenses to meet the needs of their audience"; so I think the same thing may apply to engagement, it’s important to think about the audience and adjust to their needs."