Dear ARLIS/NA Membership,

I am pleased to announce the ARLIS/NA sponsored events at the 109th Annual Conference of the College Art Association, to be held virtually, February 10-13, 2021.

The ARLIS/NA sponsored session will be recorded and available for viewing by CAA members from February 5 through March 15. We recommend that you watch before February 11, as that evening, from 6:00 to 6:30 pm EST, we will have a live Q&A with the panelists.

The session is:

Analog Research and the Limits of the Digital in the Age of COVID-19<https://caa.confex.com/caa/2021/meetingapp.cgi/Session/7234>

Over the past twenty years, mass digitization has transformed the way we do research.  It has made the world smaller, and allows students and faculty to consult works that were previously only available to those who had travel grants and time for sustained field work.  During the COVID-19 pandemic, such electronic resources became our only means of academic research.  This has really demonstrated how much we still rely on physical collections, and how there are still large areas of scholarship that can only be conducted with such resources.  This panel looks to discuss some of the limits of, and challenges to, the notion that "someday all research will be done online", from the points of view of a librarian, an art history professor, and a curator, through specific recent case studies.

Nothing Like the Real Thing: Anna Atkins's Photographs of British Algae and The Myth of the Digital Surrogate <https://caa.confex.com/caa/2021/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/10107>

Ms. Emily Walz, Librarian, Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art, Prints and Photographs, New York Public Library

Why Examining Physical Library Books Still Matters for Research and Publishing: Thoughts on Picasso’s Demoiselles d’Avignon <https://caa.confex.com/caa/2021/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/10106>

Dr. Suzanne Preston Blier, Allen Whitehill Clowes Professor of Fine Arts and of African and African American Studies, Harvard University

The Making of Ray Johnson c/o <https://caa.confex.com/caa/2021/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/10346>

Dr. Caitlin Haskell, Gary C. and Frances Comer Curator of International Modern Art, Art Institute of Chicago

Discussant:

Ms. Chantal Lee, Librarian, Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art, Prints and Photographs, New York Public Library

Chair:

Dr. Eric M. Wolf, Head Librarian and Faculty Member, Sotheby's Institute of Art, New York

Additionally, ARLIS/NA will hold its annual reception at CAA virtually on Friday, February 12, from 4:30 to 6:00 pm. Information on attending this will go out closer to the date.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

All best,

Eric

Eric M. Wolf, ARLIS/NA Liaison to CAA,

Co-Chair, CAA Committee on Research and Scholarship

Eric M. Wolf Head Librarian
Sotheby's Institute of Art
570 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10022 USA | T +1 212 897 6649
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | sothebysinstitute.com<http://www.sothebysinstitute.com/>
Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/sothebysinstitute/> | Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/SothebysInstituteofArt> | Twitter <https://twitter.com/SothebysInst> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/school/sotheby's-institute-of-art/>

[Logo]