Dear ARLIS/NA Members,

The New York chapter is delighted to extend an invitation to the national membership for an artist talk with Kenseth Armstead taking place this Wednesday, January 27th at 1:00 pm (EST) via Zoom. In place of our annual holiday party, we have invited Mr. Armstead to speak about his artistic practice and how libraries and research have influenced his work. As is usually the tradition at our holiday party, before the lecture begins, we will take a few minutes to thank our past Executive Board members and welcome the new ones at the beginning of the event. After that, Mr. Armstead will give a presentation about his work, and then we will have time for questions and discussion.

Kenseth Armstead has created provocative conceptual art for three decades. His work has been included in pivotal explorations of history, American culture, ethnicity, and institution defining moments. Selected historic exhibitions which include his work are: Black Male: Representations of Masculinity in Contemporary Art at the Whitney Museum of American Art; It’s Happening! Celebrating 50 Years of Public Art in NYC Parks, Central Park, NY, NY, Presented by NYC Parks, Art in the Parks; Race in Digital Space at the MIT List Visual Arts Center; Veni Vidi Video at the Studio Museum in Harlem (their first video exhibition in 2003); Open House: Working in Brooklyn at the Brooklyn Museum; "Edited at EAI": Video Interference at Electronic Arts Intermix (celebrating 45 years of their award winning collection); Modern Heroics, 75 years of African American Expressionism at the Newark Museum.

Armstead’s first Sankofa_ public work, Boulevard of African Monarchs, presented by the Marcus Garvey Park Alliance and the NYC DOT ART, Community Commissions is currently installed in Harlem, New York City at 116th Street & Adam Clayton Blvd through 2021. Armstead tirelessly works to explore difficult terrain, bold new approaches to histories, complex identities and nuanced subjects with art. His work seeks to create beauty out of the connection to and honoring of the invisible and forgotten in American Culture.

To register for the event, please use the link below and select the "ARLIS/NA Member Only" registration type for free registration. Registrants will receive an email with the Zoom link the day before the event. If you have any questions, please contact Vice Chair/Chair Elect of the New York Chapter Giana Ricci, at [log in to unmask]

https://www.arlisny.org/event-4113254

All the best,
Giana

--