Dear Colleagues:

Despite Covid and the otherwise dismal state of affairs, Bard Graduate Library has been fortunate to continue our year-long Artists-in-Residence program, inviting artists whose practice is grounded in research to use our library collection as an incubator for new work. Artists are invited to conduct research in subject areas relating to their work or to address the library itself as an organized collection of print material, utilizing the library’s reference staff as thought partners in this process. The resulting collaboration will create a unique opportunity for artists, highlight unique aspects of our research library, and expand Bard Graduate Center’s relevance to a new audience.

This year, we are hosting two visual artists, Jennifer Tobias and Harley Grieco, who have been conducting research in our stacks since early September. Now at the midpoint of their residencies, each will give a lunchtime talk to share their work-in-progress. While normally these presentations are given in person, this year they will be conducted via Zoom which allows me to expand our invitation to include colleagues outside of New York City.  Please join us, this Thursday, January 21st at 12:15 (EST) and next Thursday, January 28th, at 12:15 (EST) to find out more about their projects and the Bard Graduate Center Library.  More details and registration links are below.

Warmly,

Heather Topcik
Director
Bard Graduate Center Library

Working with the Hands:

Applied Arts Training in New York City, 1800–2020

Jennifer Tobias

Bard Graduate Center Artist-in-Residence

image.png
Jennifer Tobias. Study for Working With The Hands: Applied Arts Training in New York City, 1800–2020. Digital illustrations, 2020.

Jennifer Tobias will give a Brown Bag Lunch presentation on Thursday, January 21, at 12:15 pm. Her talk is entitled “Working with the Hands: Applied Arts Training in New York City, 1800–2020.”

In New York City we are surrounded by the decorative arts. Tobias’s project as a Bard Graduate Center Artist-in-Residence examines training programs for fourteen specific practices, from 1880s penmanship to twenty-first-century social practice. She will trace her development process from Library research to writing and making, and concluding with prototypes of the completed work.

REGISTER HERE

Jennifer Tobias is a scholar and illustrator. She holds a PhD in Art History from the City University of New York, an MLS from Rutgers, and a BFA from Cooper Union. She provided reader services at the Museum of Modern Art and Parsons School of Design libraries. Her illustrations are included in Health Design Thinking and Design is Storytelling, both by Ellen Lupton. She and Lupton are currently developing Extra Bold: A Feminist, Inclusive, Subversive, Non-Binary Field Guide for Graphic Design, forthcoming from Princeton Architectural Press.

*******************************

Imagining the Artifact:

Collaging Blue and White Chinese Pottery

Harley Ngai Grieco

Bard Graduate Center Artist-in-Residence

image.png

Harley Ngai Grieco will give a Brown Bag Lunch presentation on Thursday, January 28, at 12:15 pm. Her talk is entitled “Imagining

  the Artifact: Collaging Blue and White Chinese Pottery.”

As a style of porcelain decoration, Chinese blue and white is globally ubiquitous. How did this occur and what are the effects of its
pervasive design? Through this inquiry, Harley Ngai Grieco will share her research into the dissemination of Chinese porcelain imagery
and its many histories. She will then present on-going artistic projects, which combine her photo-sculptural practice with her current
research at the Bard Graduate Center Library.

Harley Ngai Grieco is a Chinese-American lens-based artist, born and raised in State College, Pennsylvania. She earned a BFA from The Cooper Union School of Art in 2013, receiving the Vincent J. Mielcarek, Jr. Memorial Prize and the Sara Cooper Hewitt Fund Prize. Harley has participated in residencies at Trestle Art Space and The Vermont Studio Center, in addition to completing a fellowship at The Bronx Museum. She has received scholarships and grants to attend workshops at UrbanGlass, The Ox-Bow School of Art, and The Penland School of Crafts. Currently, she is based in Brooklyn, New York.

--
Heather Topcik
Director of the Library

Bard Graduate Center:
Decorative Arts, Design History, Material Culture
38 West 86th Street, New York, NY 10024
T 212 501 3036
F 212 501 3098
E [log in to unmask]