The ARLIS/NA Diversity committee is starting our POC Connections & Solutions series!

Sessions are exclusively for library members of color and intended to provide a safe and solutions based space. In order to keep Jessica Krug and Rachel Dolezal out of the events, every session will have a new link, so registration will have to occur for each session.

While some ARLIS/NA members may perceive the POC Connections & Solutions series as divisive, it is a space for communion meant to chip away at the library’s “concrete ceiling.”

Our first session, the Library Roundtable, happens January 29th@1pm EST. Sessions are free and private, so please register! Find the itinerary below.

Send inquiries to: [log in to unmask].

January - Library Roundtable

Get fired up! Plan the first 90 days, 6 months, and year of your 2021 career! Use this session to become invaluable in your position while possibly reinvigorating your love for the profession.

February - Navigating Toxic Environments

Mother Theresa stated, “I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish He didn’t trust me so much.” Establish survival skills to circumvent toxic people & environments.

March - Talking Turkey

Free and open discussion. Talk self care, concerns, vent, or suggest a topic.

April -  Bring Your Brown To Work Day

Ways to ensure people of color are represented in all areas of your library.

May - Get What You Negotiate

Create strategies for raises and promotions. Brainstorm negotiations strategies that make you invaluable to the organization and community you serve.

June - Back to the Future

What do you wish you knew about the profession prior to receiving your MLS / MLIS? Do POCs have a career in librarianship? Should we encourage people of color to join the profession?

--
Karynne Courts, of Mindessence - "a visionary leader constantly and flexibly adjusts the lenses to meet the needs of their audience"; so I think the same thing may apply to engagement, it’s important to think about the audience and adjust to their needs."