Apologies for the delay. I found this summary email in my Outlook Outbox folder.

--

There seems to be plenty of interest around this topic of bibliographic management that ties into TMS. There were a few suggestions to look into Zotero. At the April DLF Museum Cohort Call, Kraig Binkowski shared how YCBA manages bibliographic citations. Meeting Notes and Recording

I personally would be extremely interested in what you learn about anything that can work with TMS. I feel like I’m a one-person show, doing this down here – it’s kind of a hobby, for after hours. But I wish it were smoother, faster, and easier to teach others how to do.

Those bibliographies sure come in handy when a student or docent comes in, asking for something to start reading about a work of art.

I don’t see citations appearing in the PMA’s “Collections” page, for the pictures I looked at. Where do your bib cites from TMS go?

Anyway, great topic for museum libraries. Thanks for opening the discussion.

1.     Are you citing the specific part of the book where the object is mentioned?  Yes, we cite the specific page(s) in the book where the object is mentioned or illustrated. You can see the Citation tab for a book in the TMS Bib module in the second screen shot.

2.     If multiple YCBA artworks are mentioned in one book, are you creating multiple bibliographic entries for them? If so, are they related to each other?  We set up the Bib module so that there is only one bib entry, and all objects are linked to it. Part of our workflow when adding citations is to make sure there is only ONE record for a book in the system.

I have pasted some screen shots below that might help

This is the front page of a book record in the bib module – we add basic information for each book – just enough to populate the citation in the website object record.  We don’t try to recreate the MARC record in our library catalogue.

This is the citation tab for the book – you see we can link multiple objects to the one book record. We always put the page number and a figure number if there is one.

Finally,

Here is the object record online and this shows you what the bibliography portion looks like. We add call numbers and library designation so that our students and staff can use it as one-stop-shopping and go directly to the stacks with this bib.

We are also interested in this and also in importing to TMS for purposes of tracking Library assets that are used in external or internal exhibitions. The conservators and registrars want to populate TMS with records for individual prints that come from portfolios in the Rare Book Collection so they can track movement, conservation, etc.  We are trying to work with them to develop a mutually beneficial solution that has the correct metadata and ties the print record into the larger record for the book.

A long email without many answers….

At the Smithsonian’s Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the Digital Assets Manager – luckily for us an MLIS holder and huge library advocate – has created a nifty SharePoint workflow for requested museum images and loans. The library staff gets an automatic notice when an image has been requested from the Hirshhorn. Julia also writes in the contract that two copies of the publication must be given to the museum (seeing mixed levels of compliance – becoming increasingly complicated with the growing prevalence of electronic catalogues raisonne and other e-pubs). The full list of expected publications is kept in an Airtable spreadsheet. The Library staff has learned to do a quick check of publications filtered to us through the curatorial and administrative departments, in case the gratis copies went straight to “the brass” instead of to the Rights and Reproductions department. The Digital Assets Manager and the Library work together to photocopy/scan the relevant reproductions and text, sending one copy to back to the DAMS department and one to our Collections Registrar.

The Collections Registrar is responsible for entering the information into TMS and filing the copy in the object files.

Unfortunately, Smithsonian Libraries has centralized cataloging for all 21 of our branches, and does not have the resources to add object reference information in our bib records. They just don’t have enough staff to scale that to all the SI museums. Branch staff are strictly forbidden to edit bibliographic records.

TMS does have a bibliographic module, which seems to have Z39.50 capability. We are not using it at the Hirshhorn, and through informal queries, the Hirshhorn Digital Assets Manager and I have not been able to identify any museum at the Smithsonian that has connected their instance of TMS with the Smithsonian Libraries OPAC.

The next part I know even less about, but there is movement within SI toward linked open data systems. Three SI units are members of the American Art Collaborative Linked Open Data Initiative. If you are looking even further in the future, you might want to reach out to someone in that group.

We record bib references in TMS (but that is done by our registrar dept) and our library cataloger includes the museum object reference information in the bib records in a 500 note in the library catalog. Example: TMA reference: Woman with a Crow by Pablo Picasso (1936.4). Our two systems do not talk to one another.