Hello all,

I work in the art history department at the Fashion Institute of Technology, where we offer several film courses. FIT is entirely virtual this semester.

The instructor of a film course has asked me to make digital copies of some DVDs at the library for students to stream at home.

In the past we’ve made digital copies but only for professors, in instances where a classroom didn’t have a DVD player.

But for obvious copyright reasons I am hesitant to make copies which the professor would then share with their students to download.

So, is there some way the professor could make the films available to stream *without* allowing the students to download them? Does Blackboard have any such capability, for those familiar with it?

Or is this be a strong enough case for fair use that it wouldn’t be an issue? Given the extraordinary circumstances and that the use would be for educational purposes, I’m inclined to think it’s fair use... however I have a feeling the MPAA might disagree.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

Best wishes,

Molly Schoen
Visual Resources Curator