Dear ARLIS/NA members,

Last week, the ARLIS/NA Executive Board’s Statement Against Anti-Black Racism and Violence and my message on ARLIS-L (see below) signaled our commitment to addressing systemic racism in the visual arts information profession as well as in our own organization. I am writing to update you on some of the steps we are taking as part of that commitment.

Yesterday I met with a group of the society’s leaders and executive board liaisons to begin a discussion on actions ARLIS/NA will take to address racism. Joining me were Natisha Harper, chair of the Diversity Committee and Advancement Liaison Lindsay King; Emilee Mathews, chair of the Strategic Directions Committee and Past President Laura Schwartz; and Vice President/President-Elect Mark Pompelia.

Although it is too soon to report on outcomes, I wanted to share some of the discussion points:

  • creating a long-term framework to address systemic racism in ARLIS/NA and the visual arts information profession. This would include:
    • establishing specific goals around broad areas within the framework, including education and self-education, advocacy, recruitment and retention, being an ally, and getting involved
    • setting a timeline
    • assessing efficacy
    • reporting progress
    • involving committees, groups, and members in planning and implementation
  • building on the society's history of work on diversity and inclusion
  • identifying actions that can be taken by ARLIS/NA leadership, groups, and members in the short term

This group will meet again in two weeks to continue the discussion and you will be hearing more from myself and others in the organization in the coming days and weeks about the steps being taken to address systematic racism.

Finally, I want to acknowledge that this message is going out on the eve of Juneteenth, the holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. While many of the festivities in honor of the holiday have been canceled due to COVID-19, it seems a fitting time to read and reflect on its relevance today. I offer a few suggestions below, some of which were shared with me by ARLIS/NA members.

For information on Juneteenth, Juneteenth.com covers the history and contemporary celebration of the holiday. There are also recent articles in many major news sources, including this one in the New York Times: "So You Want to Learn About Juneteenth?

Also happening this week is the Black Publishing Power initiative to buy two books by Black authors by June 20, with a goal to "Blackout bestseller lists with Black authors." Consider participating in the initiative by ordering from the Black-owned bookstores on this Literary Hub list or this map, which includes bookstores in Canada. See also #PublishingPaidMe for more on Black authors and publishing.

I have more reading lists to share, but first I'd like to recommend reflecting on Lauren Michele Jackson's "What is an Anti-Racist Reading List For?" on Vulture.

If you missed Libraries Respond: Black Lives Matter, the link from ALA that Carol Ng-He (ARLIS/NA's liaison to the ALA Office of Diversity) shared on ARLIS-L last week,  it offers many resources for libraries and librarians, including some that present suggestions for books, articles, videos, podcasts, and other online features such as Scaffolded Anti-Racist Resources and Anti-Racism Resources for All Ages.

Thank you for your attention to this message. Please do share comments or questions with me.

Best,
Amy

Amy Trendler
President, ARLIS/NA and
Architecture Librarian
University Libraries
Ball State University       765-285-5858
Muncie, IN 47306         [log in to unmask]

she/her/hers

The University Libraries provide services that
support student pursuits for academic success
and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation
and classroom instruction.

www.bsu.edu/library