Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Dear Kathy,

It was Art in America. Here is the relevant text from my essay on the history of Art in America for the never-published “International Art Periodicals” (Greenwood Press). See below the text for more on this subject:

The July/August 1968 issue (56:4) had a 34-page feature by Donald J. Karshan called “American Printmaking, 1670-1968.” Bound into this issue was a color lithograph by Larry Rivers, which had been printed by the New York office of the famous Paris firm the Atelier Mourlot in the enormous edition of forty-six thousand copies.

A year and a half later, beginning in January/February 1970 (58:1), Art in America published six more commissioned color lithographs by Paul Jenkins, Richard Anuszkiewicz, Alexander Calder, Peter Dechar, Ray Parker, and Robert Rauschenberg. The editions of these prints ranged from fifty thousand at the beginning to sixty-five thousand at the end. In an introduction to the Jenkins print in January/February (58:1), Mr. Karshan wrote: “This direct transmittal from artist to collective ownership is, in my opinion, not only true to the original and broad purposes of graphic art, but is as contemporary a use of the multiple as we can achieve at this time.”

The same article gives a thorough description of the production of these prints. First, the artists created them as conventional lithographs in the workshops of Mourlot, Irwin Hollander, and other lithographers. Then, the large editions bound into the magazine were produced through an ingenious and unconventional application of offset lithography. Art in America published one hundred portfolios containing all six of the original prints “directly hand-pulled from the original stones or plates” and signed and numbered, at the price of $600 ($500 before Dec. 31, 1970). These years, it must be remembered, were the heyday of multiples, posters, and assembled art periodicals like Aspen and S.M.S.

According to Wallace A. Sprague, the new president of Art in America at the time, the 1970 issues were “a financial disaster” because of the costs of creating, producing, and inserting the lithographs in each copy.10 He felt the idea may not have been marketed properly and took much of the blame for this himself. He mentioned a production cost of $1.50 per copy. Circulation did increase significantly in 1970, by 16.5%, but that apparently was not enough. [END]

Members of ARLIS and others prepared scores of essays covering the gamut of art history. The earlier announcements promised 100 titles. Art in America was one of the last. I know personally that the project was almost complete in the 1990s, but one or two major titles had not yet been written—Burlington, perhaps, or Art Bulletin? There was at least one article that required major revision. Then it seemed to peter out.

I placed my own contribution free on mcgilvery.com, but I doubt that many people have run across it. It includes fascinating and entertaining material from an interview with Jean Lipman, the long-time editor, whom I found living 30 minutes away in Coronado, across the harbor from downtown San Diego.

I have always thought it a great pity that all that expert work had gone to waste. All the finished essays that could have been located might have found an on-line home somewhere, perhaps through ARLIS. When I brought it up with one or two of the other writers, the response was that the work would have to be brought up to date with another investment in time.

Best wishes to all, and please stay well.

Larry