Hi Carmen,

Here at Emily Carr U we support Fine Arts, Design and Film so in the same situation as you for needing streaming services in these areas. We had still been purchasing a lot of dvds up until now and under normal circumstances many faculty still prefer them but ... everything has changed now and I can see that moving forward, streaming will be our first choice.

We've just finished trials of ProQuest Academic Video Onlin (AVON) and ArtFilms and have now licensed AVON through our provincial consortium and licensed ArtFilms for a limited COVID offer until Sept 30. I wish I had enough $$ to license both long term. We also license Criterion-on-Demand (Canadian Co. not Criterion Films in the US) for feature films, and Audio Cine Films (Can.) also offer a similar streaming service. We use Kanopy as a last resort for mediated purchases. I do also license one-offs from places like TUGG and I see KinoLorberEdu is starting to offer this type of streaming. Other sources ... Docuseek, MyIntyre Media (Can.) Also take a look at MUBI (US) they have a free film school program for students and teachers but I did not get a clear answer for classroom screening (they have a 30 film rotating collection) but it's an amazing resource but films move off after 30 days.

Here's a list of our streaming dbs, some free, some paid
https://guides.ecuad.ca/az.php?t=21242

Videolib listserv is also a great resource for information from media librarians all over North America.

There are so many film distributors offering various streaming options. Also if UW is part of CKRN (Canadian library consortium, take a look at their offerings). I'd be happy to talk with you off the list especially from a Canadian perspective.

Best
Danuta

Danuta Zwierciadlowski   (she/her/hers) Electronic Resources + Archives Librarian

tel 604 844 3840

Emily Carr University of Art + Design

520 East 1st Avenue, Vancouver BC V5T 0H2

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram + YouTube