This was a real gem of a thread!!  This is why I still subscribe to ARLIS-L,
18 years after retirement!

Joan

From: ARLIS/NA List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Connor, William
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 9:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Fw: Probable identity of the sitter found - thanks!

  _____

Subject: Re: Probable identity of the sitter found - thanks!

Thank you everyone for your input on the identity of that sitter!

I found out more about the photographer and the collection last evening
after the original post.

The photographer is almost certainly John (Hans) Schiff (1907-1976), whose
papers (including this photo) are held at the Leo Baeck Institute at the
Center for Jewish History in NYC. See
https://digifindingaids.cjh.org/?pID=947717

I was writing on behalf of the archivist at Leo Baeck, Michael Simonson.

John Schiff did numerous portrait photos of artists.

Schiff's life dates seem to rule out Camille Pissarro, as he died in 1903,
unless there is an off chance an earlier photograph just became part of
Schiff's collection.

At this point I'm siding with those who surmised French sculptor Aristide
Maillol (1861-1944) - it does look like some type of sculpture tools are on
the bench, there is a sculpture on a shelf (not well defined) in the upper
right corner, and Maillol did wear berets - though a lot of people wore
them, of course! I also never really took in how popular the big beards
were!

Also, I found a couple photos on line of Maillol's studio that bear striking
resemblance to the windows in this photo. The windows have distinctive
vertical supports.  Attached is one that looks pretty convincing to me - by
Josef Breitenbach (thanks Getty Images). Also attached is the original photo
from Baeck archive.

I'm hoping Michael can find a letter or something documenting a visit to
Maillol's studio by Schiff somewhere in the archive.

Among the other proposals were

Constantin Meunier (1831-1905)

Auguste Renoir

Claude Monet

Camille Pissarro

Auguste Rodin

Michael Carter (Metropolitan Museum) and Francesca Rose (Terra Museum of
American Art) proposed Maillol, so special thanks to them.

With great appreciation to everyone who looked!

Best to everyone,

Bill

  _____