Dear List Members,

So many of you have responded with helpful information about the calligraphy work.  Thank you very much!

The work is the writing of Zheng Xie, also known as Zheng Bianqiao, (1693–1765), a Chinese painter and calligrapher from Jiangsu.  Some have suggested that it may be a rubbing from a plaque, and I think this is likely from my observation of the piece.  I’ve tried to find the plaque the rubbing was made from, and I have found a photo on the web that looks like the source.  However, I have not been able to find where this plaque is located, and I’m afraid that I do not speak Chinese.  If anyone with expertise in this area knows more about the plaque and where it is located, I would be thrilled to learn more.

Plaque from the web:

Artwork at our College:

Thank you very much again,

Robin Rank