Hello ARLIS folks,

I am sharing the list of upcoming readings scheduled to commemorate the March 5, 2007 bombing of al-Mutanabbi Street in Baghdad, where bookseller’s lined the streets and fed into the city’s center for the exchange of ideas.  In addition, the immense and intense archive of artworks created to commemorate this tragedy, the Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here collection, has recently found a new home at Columbia University Libraries, in their Rare Book and Manuscript Library. A recent blog post<https://blogs.cul.columbia.edu/global-studies/2020/03/02/al-mutanabbi-street-starts-here-pop-up-exhibition/> describes how Columbia will be incorporating this collection into their teachings.

List of upcoming readings (I apologize that I could not find more specific info for many of these, but if there is an event happening in your town that you’d like to attend or promote, please reach out and I’ll attempt to connect you with more information.)

Dear Project Members,

The first reading under the banner of Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here, takes place at Cabrillo College.

I want to express my personal thanks to every organizer who took my call to heart and created a meaningful event of of solidarity and understanding across all borders, both real and imagined.

Are we not each other?

In Solidarity,
Beau Beausoleil

--

13th Anniversary Readings For Al-Mutanabbi Street, On Or About March 5th 2020.

1. In Baghdad, (Iraq) - A reading organized by the poet/activist, Amal Al-Jubouri

2. In Takoma Park, Maryland<https://www.facebook.com/amsshdc/photos/a.1494804184169371/2483866928596420/?type=3&theater> USA) - A reading at Busboys and Poets Café on March 8, 7-9pm, organized by the artist/educator/activist Helen Frederick.

3. In Wilmington, Delaware (USA) - A reading at the College of Art and Design, organized by the poet/educator/activist Casey Smith.

4. In Steamboat Springs, Colorado (USA) - A reading at the Bud Werner Memorial Library, organized by the artist/activist Janet Bradley.

5. In Portland, Oregon<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/al-mutanabbi-street-starts-here-bilingual-poetry-reading-tickets-95442014635> (USA) Multnomah Central library on Saturday, March 28th, 2:30-4:30pm. Organized by Dr. Baher Butti, with local writers appearing in a poetry reading coordinated by Tom Hogan. This reading has the support of the local Iraqi-American community of Orego Link - Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here! Bilingual Poetry Reading

6. In Milwaukie, Oregon (USA) Sat., March 7, 2-4 PM at the New Ledding Library,10660 SE 21st St., Milwaukie, hosted by the Milwaukie Poetry Series.Organized by Dr. Baher Butti, with local writers appearing in a poetry reading coordinated by Tom Hogan. This reading has the support of the local Iraqi-American community of Oregon.

7. In Saint-Jerome, Quebec, (Canada) A reading and lecture on March 18th, organized by the educator/activist Elyse Dupras.

8. In Berkeley, California (USA) A reading organized by the poet/writer/activist Summer Brenner.

9. In Santa Cruz, California (USA) A reading organized by the educator/activist Geneffa Jonker and hosted by the Salaam Initiative at Cabrillo College.

10. In San Francisco, California (USA) A reading on March 5th at Bird & Beckett Bookshop, organized by the bookseller/activist Eric Whittington

11. In San Francisco, California (USA) A reading on March 5th at Revolution Cafe organized by the poet/artist/activist Tamsin Smith

12. In San Francisco, California (USA) A reading at Specs Literary Bar organized by the artist/activist Elly Simmons

13. In Bristol, (UK) A reading and bookmark workshop at the University of the West of England (UWE) organized by artist/researchers Sarah Bodman & Angie Butler

14. In San Francisco, California (USA) A reading on March 10th at Woodside International High School organized by the poet/educator Robin Michel and the Head of School Joanne Walsh

15. In Dublin, (The Republic of Ireland) A reading on the 1st of March, organized by Rafika Ragab who has setup a team who are active in organizing many events from the Iraqi Irish community and the Kurdish society, and also members of Arabesque.

16. In New South Wales (Australia) a reading in March at the University of Wollongong organized by the Nadia Al Esi.

17. In London (UK) a reading at the Ridley Road Social Club in the Dalston neighborhood of London on March 24th, organized by Rashad Salim, Hannah Lewis (both directors of the Safina Projects), and Safaa Jibara

18. In Minneapolis, Minnesota, (USA) a reading in Arabic and English on the 5th of March at 7PM at the Daybreak Press Global Bookstore, organized by Jessy Belt Saem Eldahr Director of the Iraqi+American Reconciliation Project and Salam Murtada its Board Chair.

19. In New York's Hudson Valley, Kingston (USA): A reading at Brush & Reed Fine Art Calligraphy Studio. March 15th, 3-6pm, organized by book artist Maureen Cummins & Studio founder, Jena Argenta.

20. In San Antonio, Texas (USA): A reading at the Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP) on March 5th at 2pm. A reading of translated poems by Iraqi Women at AWP Bookfair Table #1226 organized by Jennifer Jean and Kirun Kapur of "HER STORY IS". The reading will be in Arabic and English and will include the wonderful poet Deema Shehabi my co-editor on our project anthology,Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here (PM PRESS).

21. In Venice (Italy) A reading organized by the artist/activist Roberta Feoli De Lucia on March 5th at 6pm. Lettura pubblica"Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here 2020 Italia"
Palazzo Dandolo ParisiSan Polo 2879, 30125 Venezia
~Anne

Anne Evenhaugen
Librarian
Head, Smithsonian American Art and Portrait Gallery Library
Head, Smithsonian Art Libraries
202.633.8227
http://library.si.edu/libraries/aapg

[cid:[log in to unmask]]