Dear Colleagues:

The decision to cancel the 48th Annual Conference of the Society in St. Louis was not an easy one for the executive board and the conference planning committee, but the health of our membership and conference participants is paramount. As more universities, museums, and businesses across the world take precautions necessary to maintain their constituents' well-being, we are confident that this was the right option.

We are exploring ways to deliver outstanding program content through our communications channels so that our members can benefit from our collective insight and remain informed on the important issues in our field. To that end, the St. Louis conference planners are partnering with the professional development committee and education subcommittee to deliver some of the program content virtually and with the editorial board to present conference materials as reports and in Art Documentation. The society’s bylaws require that an annual membership meeting be held; the executive board is planning a combined membership meeting and convocation online program for Wednesday April 22, 2020. Details regarding these initiatives will be forthcoming.

As you may already know, profits from the society's major annual event fund our operations throughout the year, so cancelling the conference does not come without significant budgetary impact. It was heartening for the executive board to hear that many of our members are willing to contribute all or part of their registration fees to help offset the loss in the face of personal income uncertainty. I have also heard from members who have said that they may not be able to donate the registration fee, but that they would like to help out in some way.

In response to these generous offers, I am establishing a “2020 Conference Recovery Fund.”  ARLIS/NA will gratefully accept donations in any amount to help mitigate the impact of the cancelled conference. I do hope that you will join me and the many other members who have pledged their support to continue the vital work of the society throughout the year.

With sincere thanks, Laura

Laura Schwartz

Arts & Humanities Collection Strategist

Visual Arts Librarian

Subject Librarian for Film Studies

UC San Diego

858-534-1267

President

Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA)