Dear Friends,

Years ago, when I was making pictures without any defined 'purpose'- photographing whatever intrigued me- I began thinking of them like recombinant DNA, using images like building blocks in photo-assemblages. That was in the mid-1980s, and my practice has continued into the present.

Now, that work has been remembered in a critical essay "Lewis Koch: Totems and other Photo-assemblage" just published, by old friend/art historian James Hugunin. If you're looking for reading material on a lonely day, here's something to add to the list- http://www.uturn.org/KochTotems.pdf

I hope we will stay in contact during these dark days.  Any thoughts you have about the essay, questions OR answers would be gratefully received. Or just let me know how you are and what you are up to these days, and what brings the light in...

All best wishes- good health, and light,

Lewis
Madison, WI