The Space Planning SIG annual meeting at the 2020 ARLIS/NA conference is scheduled for Thursday, April 23rd, from 5:00 – 6:00 PM, in Lindell D.  Hopefully, some of you may still be around for it!

The Space Planning SIG has just established a listserv, so if you’d like to join it, just send an email message to [log in to unmask] with “subscribe space_planning_sig” in the body of the message (the subject of the message should be left blank).

The draft agenda for our annual meeting is fairly simple:

  1. What do we want this SIG to be?  What are our needs?  Should we develop a survey?
  2. How should we communicate?  Is the new listserv enough for now?  Should we start a blog?
  3. Should we develop a Space Planning Toolkit to share with the SIG and eventually the wider organization?  And in what format?  (I have a draft list of resources we can start with.  If you’d like to review a copy now, feel free to email me directly and I’ll forward it—see address below.)
  4. Session ideas for 2021 Montreal or 2022 Chicago?  Or start small by just inviting speakers to our annual meeting (which we did in 2018 NYC)?
  5. New coordinator or co-coordinator?

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to email me directly (see address below).

Random announcements:

  1. ARLIS/NA 2020, session of note:  Tue 4/21, 1:30 PM:  “Space Planning:  Art, Libraries, and Librarianship in a Time of Endless Possibilities.”  Henry Pisciotta will present, “Curiosity and Design for Academic Libraries.”
  2. AAM 2020 conference, session of note:   5/17, 9:00 AM:  “Build It In, Don’t Bolt It On: Accessibility, Design, and Disability Arts in Museums”
  3. Classes of note:  This August, Library Juice Academy is offering “Introduction to Accessibility and Universal Design in Libraries.”  https://libraryjuiceacademy.com/132-accessibility.php
  4. Webinars of note:  March 11th Architectural Record is offering a webinar “Space Planning for a New Generation.”  https://continuingeducation.bnpmedia.com/courses/vectorworks-inc/space-planning-for-a-new-generation-web-live/&Affiliate=Email2.  Although it’s not LAM-specific, it could be interesting.

Hope to see you at the conference!

Miki Bulos

Miki Bulos   |   Lucas Research Library  |  P.O. Box 10877  San Rafael,CA   94912   |   415-662-1918    |  [log in to unmask]