Happy Friday,

I would love to hear from any of you who have utilized TV footage in online exhibits or digital collections (or elsewhere). We have digitized 35mm film showing one segment of a TV show that featured a museum staff member discussing exhibitions at the Seattle Art Museum. The footage is from 1968 and copyrighted by The Gilette Company (who merged with Proctor & Gamble in 2005). It was produced by KING TV here in Seattle. We would like to embed this video in an online exhibit around one of our digital collections on Omeka.

I'm concerned about the rights and wonder if any of you have thoughts about us claiming fair use. Looking at CAA's Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for the Visual Arts<https://www.collegeart.org/pdf/fair-use/best-practices-fair-use-visual-arts.pdf> (especially Section Five: Online Access to Related Collections in Memory Institutions, page  13), my sense is that we can fulfill all of these requirements. Plus, we plan to make it difficult for someone to download the video or find its path.

What do you think?

I'll be chatting with our counsel about this, but wanted to get some feedback and any additional information I could beforehand. Thanks for reading!

Traci

Traci Timmons, M.A., M.L.I.S.
Senior Librarian
Equity Team Member
Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers

Dorothy Stimson Bullitt Library
Seattle Art Museum
1300 First Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: 206-654-3220
Library website: http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/programs-and-learning/libraries-and-resources
I work off-site Mondays and am in the office Tuesdays through Fridays.

JOHN AKOMFRAH / Seattle Art Museum / Mar 5 - May 3 2020
GEORGIA O'KEEFFE / Seattle Art Museum / Mar 5 - Jun 28 2020
ASIAN ART MUSEUM / Now open
Get tickets at visitsam.org<http://visitsam.org/>