Hi Nicole,

I’m having trouble deciphering the artist signature, but the lower left hand corner mentions the subject “Wien, Griechenbeisl”, so Vienna, Griechenbeisl (Restaurant), which still exists! It’s the oldest restaurant in Vienna in fact https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griechenbeisl

If you do a google image search for “Griechenbeisl” and “Radierung” you get several hits from the early 20th century, so it was probably a popular subject for artists at the time.

Best,

Walter Schlect | Germanic Languages and Literatures and Comparative Literature Studies Subject Librarian

Washington University in St. Louis

John M. Olin Library | Campus Box 1061 | St. Louis, Missouri 63130

Email: [log in to unmask]

Phone: 314.935.6869

Schedule a research consultation

Pronouns: he, him, his