Dear Colleagues,

The 2020 ARLIS/NA Leadership Institute will on be on Monday, April 20, 2020 from 12:30pm to 5pm in the Lenox Room of the Chase Park Plaza Royal Sonesta St. Louis.  Lunch will be provided from 12:30pm-1pm and the institute will be from 1pm-5pm.  This invitation has been extended to executive board members, committee chairs, conference co-chairs, chapter chairs, and division, section, and SIG moderators.

This year we have reserved several spots for ARLIS/NA members who are aspiring leaders in the organization.  If you are interested in attending, please fill out this Google Form before February 15.  While I wish we could accommodate everyone who is interested, we will able to accommodate 5-10 aspiring leaders.

The theme of this year’s leadership institute is “Design Thinking,” focusing on leadership practices for collaborative design. Robert Mark Morgan, Teaching Professor of Performing Arts (Design) at Washington University, will facilitate the discussions.  Rob is director of the Beyond Boundaries Program at the university and an expert in design thinking, and has led human-centered design workshops for many years to a wide variety of audiences.

 Participants will develop leadership practices for collaborative design, learn the steps of the creative process, and work in groups to create a project that meets a specific goal, takes aesthetics into consideration, and conforms to a set of restraints. They will experience the importance of visual and verbal communication, prototyping, quick decision making, and iteration as early elements of innovation and group work. Reflection will focus on strengths and challenges in group project work and ways to ensure that the best ideas are heard and implemented.

 Workshop objectives include:

I am excited about the content of the 2020 ARLIS/NA Leadership Institute.  Thanks to the strategic directions committee for suggesting design thinking as this year’s theme. I look forward to working in teams to develop our leadership skills in a very creative and interactive way.  What we learn will directly impact our service to ARLIS/NA and the work at our respective institutions.

 If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

 Best, Laura

Laura Schwartz

ARLIS/NA President 2019-2020