Dear Los Angeles area librarians,

We are seeking volunteers to assist in the organization and fundraising of the 2020 Contemporary Artists’ Book Conference (CABC) held in conjunction with Printed Matter’s LA Art Book Fair which runs from April 2-5, 2020.

The CABC Los Angeles is a one-to-two day event that examines historical and emerging practices and provides a forum for critical discussions around art-book culture.

CABC is organized by the CABC committee, a national group of art librarians and professionals in the field, with sessions that cover a range of lively topics from artists, scholars, and other leading figures.

We are seeking LA based librarians to volunteer with programming as well as fundraising. The CABC committee’s responsibilities would be to the liaison with the speakers and develop new programs to present in conjunction with the LA Art Book Fair, as well as securing fundraising for its presence at the Fair.

Printed Matter would provide peripheral administrative support, securing rental, and processing honoraria. We would be promoting the details of the Conference throughout, highlighting participants and panels before, during, and after the fair, through printed materials, our Fair website, and social media. Members fundraise independently to cover production costs including rental fee for the venue and honoraria for the speakers.

On the occasion of last year’s 2019 LA Art Book Fair, CABC featured a keynote address by Hamza Walker, followed by a plenary session moderated by the Whitney Museum’s Farris Wahbeh, which included artists Devin Troy Strother and Yuri Ogita of Coloured Publishing, and Ooga Booga’s Wendy Yao in discussion over the state of artists’ books in Los Angeles.

Previous CABC, Los Angeles keynote addresses have been delivered by AA Bronson, Experimental Jetset: the small, independent, Amsterdam-based graphic design studio, and Frances Stark.

Past CABC, Los Angeles panelists have included Andrea Bowers, Tacita Dean, Anne Ellegood, Frank Haines, Eric Kim, Kris Kuramitsu, Andrea Liu, Kristine McKenna, Carolina Miranda, Sohrab Mohebbi, Dushko Petrovich, Penny Slinger, Kandis Williams, and many more.

The Conference in Los Angeles has been made possible over the years, by generous contributions from individuals and galleries Blum & Poe, David Kordansky Gallery, Gagosian Gallery, Hauser Wirth & Schimmel, and Sprüth Magers.

Please let me know of your initial interest as soon as possible by emailing me directly, as we have upcoming deadlines in the beginning of February to coincide with Printed Matter’s Fair preparations.

With thanks,

Farris

Farris Wahbeh

Benjamin and Irma Weiss Director of Research Resources

Whitney Museum of American Art

99 Gansevoort Street

New York, NY 10014

(212) 570-3671