Dear Margaret,

This is a slightly different use case, but here at the Brooklyn Public Library we have our digital collections in a proprietary DAMS called Widen, and are very happy with it. Not cheap, but pretty powerful.
We have it for internal use on the back end, and our IT team has built a public face from their API.
https://www.bklynlibrary.org/digitalcollections/

 It's primarily a marketing platform, but I know of other cultural institutions and several Universities that are using it, among them Cornell
https://www.widen.com/blog/the-widen-digital-asset-manager-series-being-a-widen-damster-with-corey-chimko-of-cornell-university-photography
[https://www.widen.com/hs-fs/hub/464524/file-3422784423-jpg/blog-files/corey_chimko.jpg#keepProtocol]<https://www.widen.com/blog/the-widen-digital-asset-manager-series-being-a-widen-damster-with-corey-chimko-of-cornell-university-photography>
The Widen digital asset manager series: Being a Widen DAMster – with Corey Chimko of Cornell University Photography<https://www.widen.com/blog/the-widen-digital-asset-manager-series-being-a-widen-damster-with-corey-chimko-of-cornell-university-photography>
The Widen digital asset manager series: Being a Widen DAMster – with Corey Chimko of Cornell University Photography
www.widen.com
 Also the Jewish Museum
https://thejewishmuseum.org/collection/search
It is pretty flexible.

In my former position at Bard Graduate Center we used ARTstor, and were very happy with that in a combined college and museum context.
Please feel free send any questions you have.

Best regards,
Deborah Tint

Deborah Tint | Special Collections Cataloger, Brooklyn Collection

Brooklyn Public Library

718.230.2130

bklynlibrary.org