 Passing this along . . .
Sally
   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: ACRL/Choice Presents <[log in to unmask]>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 09:08:18 AM ESTSubject: Advertising, Design and the Archive - An ACRL/Choice Webinar
  Uncovering New Art Histories

|   |

| Join Us For a Live 60-Minute Presentation |

|  |

| This webinar is a paid sponsorship opportunity. The products, services, and opinions presented herein do not constitute a Choice, ACRL, or ALA endorsement of any kind.

|  |

| Tuesday,December 10, 2019
2:00 PM Eastern 1:00 PM Central12:00 PM Mountain11:00 AM Pacific  |

|  REGISTER |

|  HOME |

| UPCOMING

| ARCHIVE |

| CHOICE PODCAST

|  |

| Advertising, Design, and the Archive  |

| Uncovering New Art Histories

|  |

| Mid-20th century America was home to an astonishing cross-fertilization of avant-garde aesthetics, business, and cutting-edge media, as innovative artists and designers produced trademarks, corporate identities, print advertisements, and television commercials for major corporate clients. Libraries, archives and special collections have become the primary repositories of these complex legacies that lie at the intersection of art, design, and media. How can library special collections support scholars and museums exploring the development of American visual culture?

Scholars and Curators Corinne Granof (Northwestern University, Block Museum) and Amy Beste (SAIC) will tackle this question through a discussion of the archival research and library loans that fostered the exhibition Up is Down: Mid-Century Experiments in Advertising and Film at the Goldsholl Studio. The exhibition examined the legacy of a trailblazing Chicago design firm that brought Bauhaus aesthetics to the American public with work for such clients as Motorola, Kimberly-Clark, Revlon, and 7-Up. The exhibition case study will offer a springboard for considering how library and museum partnerships can give voice to unexplored cultural histories.

| REGISTER |

| PRESENTERS |

| Amy Beste   is director of public programs and senior lecturer in the department of film, video, new media, and animation at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Her publications include "Interview with Hannes Schüpbach" in Schüpbach (2015) and "Designers in Film: Goldsholl Associates, the Avant-Garde, and Mid-century Advertising Films" in Jacob and Baas (2012). She curates " Conversations at the Edge," an ongoing series of screenings, talks, and performances by leading media artists at the Gene Siskel Film Center, Chicago. Beste received her PhD from Northwestern Universit y. Photo courtesy Joe Mazza, Brave Lux.
 Corinne Granof is Academic Curator at the Block Museum of Art, Northwestern University where she directs the museum's curatorial initiatives involving students and faculty collaboration. Recently she has co-curated the exhibitions William Blake and the Age of Aquarius (2017) and A Feast of Astonishments: Charlotte Moorman and the Avant-Garde, 1960s-1980s (2016), and led the related companion publications with Northwestern University Press and Princeton University Press. Working with students and faculty, Granof has curated, co-curated, and collaborated on over 30 exhibitions and publications with the Block Museum, among them The Left Front: Radical Art in the "Red Decade," 1929-1940 (2014); Design in the Age of Darwin: From William Morris to Frank Lloyd Wright (2008); From the Trenches to the Street: Art from Germany, 1910s-1920s (2007); Casting a Shadow: Creating the Alfred Hitchcock Film (2007); The Last Expression: Art and Auschwitz (2002). Photo courtesy Sean Su Photography.   |

| SPONSORED BY |

|  |

| Forward this email

Questions should be directed to Mark Derks, at [log in to unmask]
This webinar is a paid sponsorship opportunity. The products, services, and opinions presented herein do not constitute a Choice, ACRL, or ALA endorsement of any kind. As a webinar registrant, you will receive follow-up correspondence from ACRL and Choice and may receive other special offers from our sponsors. Please Read our Privacy Policy.

|  |

| CHOICE, 575 Main Street, Suite 300, Middletown, CT 06457 |

| SafeUnsubscribe™ [log in to unmask] |

| Forward this email | Update Profile | About our service provider |

| Sent by [log in to unmask] in collaboration with |

|  |
| Try email marketing for free today! |

 |  |