Hi everyone,

We're hosting the next VRA Conference here in Baltimore. My colleague, Lael Ensor-Bennett, asked me to share this call to ARLIS-L. Please let her know if you're interested. And, please keep the Baltimore VRA Conference on your radar!

All my best,

Don Juedes

Good afternoon, All,

I am currently accepting proposals for ~2 additional presenters for the following session to be held during VRA 2020 in Baltimore, March 24th-27th.

Session Title: How to GLAM in "Charm City:" Community Building between Baltimore and Its Cultural Institutions

The summary is below. For those interested, please send an abstract for a ~15 minute paper/presentation, a short biography, and your contact information, off-list to Lael Ensor-Bennett, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Visual Resources Collection, Johns Hopkins University by November 15th.

Thanks so much,
Lael

How have local GLAM institutions engaged with the diverse Baltimore community? How have they ethically told difficult Baltimore stories with their collections or accounted for underrepresented groups in their collections? How are media professionals handling social justice and community outreach and engagement? Panelists will include a range of professionals from local Baltimore institutions, including the Milton S. Eisenhower Library at Johns Hopkins University and the Maryland Historical Society.

This panel seeks to provide ideas and assistance to professionals at GLAMS on how they might negotiate these complex issues in their own communities, as well as navigating the questions that arise about ethics and institutional responsibility.

What is the role of GLAMS in all of the communities they serve? How can GLAMS represent all constituents while telling stories in an ethical way that avoids appropriation? How can GLAMS best work together with the community while maintaining focus on their missions and existing collections? How can we encourage positive communications and foster partnerships within our communities?

Lael J. Ensor-Bennett
Vice President for Conference Arrangements, Visual Resources Association
Assistant Curator, Visual Resources Collection<http://arthist.jhu.edu/about/visual-resources-collection/>
Visual Resources Collection LibGuide<http://guides.library.jhu.edu/visual-resources-collection>
History of Art Department
167 Gilman Hall
Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218
Pronouns: she / her / hers
P Less paper. More trees. Please consider the environment before printing this email.