Good Morning,

I have followed with interest the discussion of holdings that do and don’t display in Worldcat.

I recently spoke to OCLC about joining and having our holdings added and displayed. However, this is for a small library, all volunteer. I was quoted the fee for catexpress and discovery subscription. The question of displayed holdings was explained as only users who use opacs at academic institutions would see our holdings. When I explained that we want a user who is sitting in starbucks access, the reply, as I understood it, was only people who have access to a Discovery based opac would see the holdings. Yet the written explanation from OCLC mentions a Discovery interface opac as we don’t have our own.

Explanation from OCLC:

FirstSearch/WorldCat Discovery is a service that will publish your holdings set in WorldCat on the open web through our partnerships with Google, Wikipedia, Goodreads, etc. This will allow anyone anywhere to find your items and link back to your OPAC. If you do not have an OPAC, you can use the Discovery interface as a simple one. It will not show call numbers or item availability, but it will show that you own the item (I can tell you more about this). Your cost for a 12-month subscription is $1,500. To place an order, fill out and submit this form: https://www.oclc.org/content/forms/worldwide/en/fswcdp-order.html.

So I am confused as to whether holdings will display or not.

If anyone has experience with this Discovery opac, and would be willing to share whether holdings show or not, it would be appreciated.

Appreciate any help,

Georgia Pribanic

Sent from Mail for Windows 10