“Outside In: Images and Words of Assimilation and Resistance in American
Print History”
A Keynote Address from Colette Gaiter

University of Maryland, College Park
Ulrich Recital Hall
October 25, 2019
4:45 to 6:30pm

Registration for the full APHA 2019 annual conference is closed, but you
can still check out this year’s annual Lieberman Lecture, which is free and
open to the public. The 2019 Lieberman Lecture will be a talk from
Professor Colette Gaiter, featured as our Friday conference keynote
address.

“One press, many hands” conjures up the range of diverse Americans who
worked to distribute their own stories in images and words. Looking back to
the turn of the twentieth century through to the present, print culture in
the United States represents voices from every group including the original
Native people and every kind of immigrant—voluntary or forced. It is
important to trace how the texts and design of publications and ephemera
spread ideas about adapting, belonging, patriotism, isolation, and
resistance—still resonating in the nation’s consciousness today. Combining
careful words and skillful imagery ensured that some of these printed
objects would be valued and preserved. Our legacy is to look at them with
insights possible through distance and social progress. We can study the
human desire to record the past and imagine a future, absorbing lessons
learned to guide our current path on the long arc of history.

Colette Gaiter—a multimedia artist, graphic designer, and writer—is a
Professor of Visual Communications and Visual Studies at the University of
Delaware’s Department of Art & Design and the Department of Africana
Studies. Her work spans multiple creative practices, including photographic
digital prints mixed with other media, artist books, websites, video, and
interactive installations. She also writes about artists and designers,
particularly the work of Emory Douglas, current activist and former artist
and designer for the Black Panther Party. She wrote a new introduction to
the second edition of Black Panther: The Revolutionary Art of Emory
Douglas, which includes her essay on the messages embedded in his work.
Always investigating creative activism, her writing appears in various
publications and books.

Jesse R. Erickson PhD, MLIS

Coordinator of Special Collections and Digital Humanities

Assistant Professor, Department of English

Associate Director of the Interdisciplinary Humanities Research Center

Special Collections & Museums

University of Delaware
(302) 831-8741
https://library.udel.edu/special/