Dear Colleagues,

Greetings from the Getty Vocabulary Program. Below are examples of records added to the Getty vocabularies last quarter, July-September 2019. See the fuller list of new terms and names here:

http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/guidelines/aat_monthly_new_recs.pdf . The Getty vocabularies grow through contributions from the expert user community. To see the hundreds or thousands of records edited each month, including new translations and bulk loads, see Getty web services: http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/vocab_web_services.pdf .

In this quarter we announced that the Getty Vocabularies OpenRefine Reconciliation Service is now available. Read about it here: http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/obtain/openrefine.html . Wrangle your data with OpenRefine and link to AAT, TGN, and ULAN using the Getty Vocabularies Reconciliation Service in OpenRefine.

To contribute to the Getty Vocabularies, you can now use the online click-through Agreement here: http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/contribute.html#quick_ref  .

Many contributions from several contributors to the Getty Vocabularies have been added last quarter, as either new records or additions to existing records. Larger contributions include an English/French dataset for AAT from CHIN / RCIP (Canadian Heritage Information Network / Réseau canadien d’information sur le patrimoine (Gatineau, Quebec, Canada)) and AASLH (American Association for State and Local History (Nashville, Tennessee)), which is now being processed.  Other contributions that are being prepared for loading are for ULAN from Belvedere (Österreichische Galerie Belvedere (Vienna, Austria)) and NMWA (National Museum of Women in the Arts (Washington, DC)). A load from the BWR (Built Works Registry) for CONA has been received.

Below are examples of new records added to the Getty Vocabularies during last quarter: AAT, TGN, ULAN, CONA, and IA.

AAT: Added July-September 2019

771 new records, examples below. (Total does not include new data incorporated in “merged” records or processed as additions to existing records; does not include records loaded but still having “candidate” status.)

300007316 | carousels (amusement rides) | amusement rides, recreation structures, ... Objects Facet
300024277
| dry-powder dusters | agricultural equipment, <equipment by process>, ... Objects Facet
300024280
| fertilizer spreaders | <agricultural equipment by material processed>, agricultural equipment, ... Objects Facet
300379289
| Podocarpus totara (species) | Podocarpus (genus), Podocarpaceae (family), ... Agents Facet
300379290
| pouwhenua | staff weapons, edged weapons, ... Objects Facet

300379302 | shark teeth | teeth (animal components), animal components, ... Objects Facet
300379303
| tekoteko | figures (representations), <visual works by subject type>, ... Objects Facet
300379305
| toki poutangata | toki, axes (weapons), ... Objects Facet
300379306
| toki | axes (weapons), edged weapons, ... Objects Facet
300379311
| pirori | <drills by form>, drills (tools), ... Objects Facet
300379314
| Ngä Käkano | Maori sculpture styles, Maori (culture or style), ... Styles and Periods Facet
300435319
| apotheosis | doctrinal concepts, religious concepts, ... Associated Concepts Facet
300435320
| villagers | <people by state or condition>, people (agents), ... Agents Facet
300435321
| gentry | upper class, <social classes by specific type>, ... Agents Facet
300435322
| constellations | extraterrestrial bodies, natural landscapes, ... Objects Facet

300435325 | haystacks | groupings of plants, Plantae (kingdom), ... Agents Facet
300435326
| guilt | legal concepts, social science concepts, ... Associated Concepts Facet
300435464
| carbon reinforced polymer | reinforced plastic, <plastic by production method>, ... Materials Facet

300435498 | piggeries | swine housing, animal housing (agricultural structures), ... Objects Facet
300435500
| Wabanaki (confederation) | <Eastern Woodland and Eastern Great Lake Native American styles>, Native North American styles, ... Styles and Periods Facet
300435501
| lignes (units of measurement) | <size/dimension units for distance>, <size/dimensions by unit>, ... Physical Attributes Facet
300435502
| pouces (units of measurement) | <size/dimension units for distance>, <size/dimensions by unit>, ... Physical Attributes Facet
300435503
| pieds | <size/dimension units for distance>, <size/dimensions by unit>, ... Physical Attributes Facet
300435504
| Munsee (culture) | <Eastern Woodland and Eastern Great Lake Native American styles>, Native North American styles, ... Styles and Periods Facet

TGN: Added July-September 2019

33 new records. (Total does not include new data incorporated in “merged” records or processed as additions to existing records)

8712630 | Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (former nation/state/empire) | Europe, World
8712632
| Aceh, Sultanate of (former nation/state/empire) | Asia, World
8712633
| Brazil, Empire of (former nation/state/empire) | South America, World
8712635
| Mixtec Empire (former nation/state/empire) | Mexico, North and Central America, World
8712636
| Tarascan Empire (former nation/state/empire) | Mexico, North and Central America, World
8712637
| Tepanec Empire (former nation/state/empire) | Mexico, North and Central America, World
8712663
| Ras il-Wardija (point) | San Lawrenz, Malta, ... World
8712664
| San Pawl Milqi (deserted settlement) | San Pawl il-Baħar, Malta, ... World
8712665
| Safi (inhabited place) | Safi, Malta, ... World
8712666
| Torri ta' Ġawhar (ancient site) | Safi, Malta, ... World
8712667
| Tal-Barrani (inhabited place) | Żejtun, Malta, ... World
8712668
| Iċ-Ċirku tax-Xagħra (abandoned complex) | Xagħra, Malta, ... World

8712644 | Imerina (kingdom) | Madagascar, Africa, World
8712645
| Ngombe Ilede National Monument (historic site) | Southern, Zambia, ... World
8712646
| Zaria (former nation/state/empire) | Kaduna, Nigeria, ... World
8712647
| Fort Nassau (deserted settlement) | Central, Ghana, ... World
8712648
| Nariokotombe (stream) | Turkana, Kenya, ... World
8712649
| Ed-Dur (deserted settlement) | Umm al Qaywayn, United Arab Emirates, ... World
8712650
| Muṣaṣir (lost settlement) | <lost & found/Turkey>, Turkey, ... World

ULAN: Added July-September 2019

199 new records, examples below. (Total does not include new data incorporated in “merged” records or processed as additions to existing records, contributed by GRI Special Collections from the Szeemann finding aid and by IMJ (Israel Museum Jerusalem))

500355337 | Lucy, Saint (Italian saint, 238-304) | Non-Artists
500453984
| Zidić, Igor (Croatian curator, born 1939) | Non-Artists
500454223
| Montefusco, Vincenzo (Italian painter, 1926-1975) | Persons, Artists
500454572
| Tytla, Bill (Ukranian-American animator, 1904-1968) | Persons, Artists
500455157
| Baldwin, Gordon (American art historian and curator, born 1939) | Non-Artists
500455171
| Rossi, Filippo (Italian professor and art historian, born 1970) | Non-Artists
500455401
| Wladimiroff, Igor (Dutch historian, born 1943) | Non-Artists
500481570
| Jitzhak, Eliyahu (Israeli sculptor, contemporary) | Persons, Artists
500487301
| Paeff, Bashka (American sculptor, 1893-1979) | Persons, Artists
500487302
| Bien-Aimé, Gabriel (Haitian sculptor, born 1951) | Persons, Artists
500487303
| Everett Elementary School (American school, Boston) | Corporate Bodies
500487304
| Gounod, Charles (French composer, 1818-1893) | Non-Artists
500487305
| Soubirous, Bernadette, Saint (French saint, 1844-1879) | Non-Artists
500487306
| Maltese, Michael (American animator, 1908-1988) | Persons, Artists
500487307
| Patterson, Ray (American animator, 1911-2001) | Persons, Artists
500487309
| Williams, Moses (American silhouette artist, 1777- ca. 1825) | Persons, Artists
500487310
| Sri Kahulunnan (Javanese queen, 9th century) | Non-Artists
500487311
| Rakai Pikatan (Javanese king, reigned 838-850) | Non-Artists
500487312
| Abbott, Mary (American painter, 1921-2019) | Persons, Artists
500487313
| Gang, Zhao (Chinese printmaker, born 1966) | Persons, Artists

CONA: Added July-September 2019

9 new records. (Total does not include new data incorporated as additions to existing records, or BWR contribution, still being processed.)

700009639 | Het interieur van de Cunerakerk in Rhenen | painting (visual work); Pieter Saenredam (1597 - 1665); 1655; Mauritshuis (Hague, The, South Holland, Netherlands); 888
700009640
| A Vase of Flowers | painting (visual work); after Jan Davidsz. de Heem (1606 - 1684); c. 1660 ; Ashmolean Museum (Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, United Kingd...; WA1940.2.36
700009646
| Hollyhock House | house; Frank Lloyd Wright, with Rudolph Schindler and Lloyd Wright;...; 1919-1922; Hollywood (Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United Stat...
700009647
| Het Sint-Nicolaasfeest | painting (visual work); Jan Havicksz. Steen; 1665/1668; Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands); SK-A-385
700009648
| Cephalus and Aurora | paintings (visual works); Poussin, Nicolas; about 1630; National Gallery (London, Greater London, England, United Ki...; NG65
700009649
| Mr and Mrs Andrews | painting (visual work); Thomas Gainsborough; about 1750; National Gallery (London, Greater London, England, United Ki...; NG6301
700009650
| Surya, The Sun God | sculpture (visual works); unknown, India, Karnataka or Andhra Pradesh; circa 1100-1150; Los Angeles County Museum of Art (Los Angeles, Los Angeles c...; M.86.94.1
700009651
| Candi Plaosan | temples (buildings); unknown architects, under queen Sri Kahulunnan; mid-9th century; Bugisan (Jawa Tengah, Indonesia, Asia, World, Top of the TGN...
700009652
| Palazzo degli Uffizi | palace; Giorgio Vasari, architect; Bernardo Buontalenti, associated ...; constructed between 1560 and 1...; Florence (Firenze, Toscana, Italia, Europe, World, Top of th...

IA: Added July-September 2019

74 new records, examples below. (Total does not include new data incorporated as additions to existing records)

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002164  Ishkur (Sumerian deity)(Ancient Near-Middle Eastern characters, Ancient Near-Middle Eastern iconography...)

 http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002165  Shala (Mesopotamian deity) (Ancient Near-Middle Eastern characters, Ancient Near-Middle Eastern iconography, ...)

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002166  Nanna (Sumerian deity)(Ancient Near-Middle Eastern characters, Ancient Near-Middle Eastern iconography, ...)

http://vocab.getty.edu/page/ia/901002176 Life of Saint John the Apostle (Christian iconography) (Other Christian narratives, Christian iconography, ...)