Hi everyone! Heather Gendron (Yale University Library) and I have had a proposal accepted for an interactive panel on creativity and leadership for the 2020 ARLIS/NA conference in St. Louis. We now seek a third speaker to join. This will be a 60 to 90-minute interactive session. Our original abstract and contact information follow. Please contact us by Tuesday, September 17 if you are interested. Since the two of us are academic librarians, we hope to get interest from colleagues who work in other types of libraries. We look forward to hearing from you.

Jill and Heather

Put a Creative Spark in Your Leadership

Abstract: Where do creativity and leadership intersect? What strategies and tools can we borrow from artists to improve or even transform our approaches to leadership? Using inspirational quotes and advice from a variety of visual and performing artists, designers and makers as well as from leadership literature, this interactive panel will invite participants to explore a variety of methods that they can use both at work and in developing and nurturing a personal creative practice.

The demands of day-to-day operations, administrative tasks and teamwork can become routine, ordinary and stale. Work-life balance is a constant challenge and it can be difficult to set aside time and energy for personal creative practice. How do you make time at work and outside of work for creative thinking?

Being a leader doesn’t have to mean putting out your creative spark and, in fact, we argue that creativity is essential to being a great leader. Join us in exploring practical approaches and strategies that you can use individually and share with work teams and throughout your organization, such as positive reflection and envisioning, playful learning, and experimentation.

Jill Chisnell

Coordinator, ARLIS/NA SCIP (Stimulating Creativity in Practice) SIG

Integrated Media and Design Librarian

Carnegie Mellon University Libraries

Email: [log in to unmask]

Heather Gendron