Dear Kathy,

Sharing on behalf of my colleague, Gwendolyn Owens, McGill Visual Arts Collection:

Like Columbia, McGill has professionals in place who report to the Library but manage a campus-wide collection that essentially follows museum procedures for a collection of value. We have an acquisitions committee, a collections management policy, deaccessioning procedures, and a team with graduate level training in the field.  I would encourage our colleagues at Clemson to set up the program in concert with the CU Public Art Collection and the Lee Gallery.  Our experience at McGill has been that collections set up in specific units across the campus are not well managed in the long-term as staff changes and budget issues for a unit whose primary role is not about art has meant that collections get put in closets or basements. No one means any harm to the art, but over time (and we need to think long, long term) there are issues.  For this reason at McGill, the Visual Arts Collection now manages all the collections that were previously managed by units across campus.

Gwendolyn Owens | Director, Visual Arts Collection / Directeur, Collection d’arts visuel | Université McGill University | Library and Archives / Bibliothèque et Archives | McLennan Building, Room M2-35 / Pavillon McLennan, Bureau M2-35 | 3459 McTavish Street / 3459, rue McTavish | Montréal (Québec), H3A 0C9 | T: 514.398.7166 | [log in to unmask]http://www.mcgill.ca/vacollection/

--

Jennifer Garland

Assistant Head Librarian

Rare Books and Special Collections, McGill University Library

Join our mailing list for news on upcoming events and exhibitions