Hi Kathy,

I manage the art in the library here. Our library has accepted gifts of art in the past and there used to by a Library Art Committee, but it was dissolved and added to my responsibilities when I was hired. I maintain a website of all the art on display and a spreadsheet for everything that we have a record of belonging to the library that is not in a specific collection. We now rely heavily on loans from our state's public art collection which I have selected with our University Librarian. I worked as collections manager for the public art collection early in my career and see this as the best way to exhibit art in the library, to supplement the existing gifts. The loans have people to install them, can be returned for storage, and come with a budget for conservation. We have video cameras in the public areas of our library. Some of the high value items have been security hung in the past. Our university and the state's public art collection is self-insured.

I also serve as our library's representative to the Campus Art Advisory Committee.

There is a separate library exhibits committee (which I do not serve on, but I have prepared exhibits for the library):
http://manoa.hawaii.edu/library/about/organization/policy/exhibits-policy-and-procedures/

Hope this helps,
Malia

Malia Van Heukelem