Something that I've done in photo classes... Not an activity/lesson per se... But to make today's journals historically relevant & interesting & vital (taking the long view...). When I show issues of Camera Work, or Camera Notes, or early issues of Life or Aperture or Contemporary Photographer as important ARTIFACTS, as exemplars of cultural practices from certain moment(s) in the history(ies) of the medium (as well as great information resources), I might also show students their current journals, with the emphasis on THEIR: Magazine Gitz or current issues of Aperture. So it becomes a journal-based cultural investigation where the journals become the springboards for discussion. You could do this with a long run of Artforum, journals from the Surrealist era, Riso zines, etc. and so on, whatever would fit that particular class.

Now how to make this an assignment of sorts...

Regards all,
Peter

Peter P. Blank

Photography Curator

Dept. of Special Collections (Room 220B)

557 Escondido Mall

Stanford Libraries

Stanford, CA  94305 – 6064

library.stanford.edu/spc

Stanford Libraries Photography Initiative

650.561.2392 Cell