Greetings all!

I hope that your week is off to a lovely start. I'm in need of some assistance with an ongoing reference question.

I am working with a professor who is writing a book about Marie Antoinette and by virtue of completing the research for this book, this faculty member is also researching various people who were considered to be in Marie Antoinette's inner most circle. This faculty member is finding images off of the web (usually wikipedia) to provide portraits of the various people closely involved with Marie Antoinette. Usually, the artist who painted these portraits is not mentioned. So that proper attribution can be given, I've been recruited to help solve these various mysteries.

The latest is this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_de_Noailles_(1729%E2%80%931794)#/media/File:Anne_d'Arpajon_comtesse_de_Noailles.jpg.

Does anyone have any tips/reference materials/etc. for how to trace portrait artists and/or any librarians/researchers etc. with specific knowledge of French or Austrian 18th century portrait painters?

Thanks in advance!!

~Morgan

Morgan Davis
Music and Arts Librarian