Greetings ARLISians!

Michele Jennings (Ohio University) and I are so happy to share that our paper panel proposal for the annual conference, “If You Built It, Will They Come? Reimagining Strategies for Embeddedness as an Art Librarian” has been accepted for next year’s program in St. Louis.

We currently have two papers for the panel, and we are looking to add one or two more to an 80 minute session. Below you will find the abstract for the session. If you are interested in submitting a paper idea to include, please email Courtney Hunt at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. We are especially interested in including papers by panelists approaching liaison librarianship from the viewpoint of critical pedagogy and inclusivity. The deadline to submit your paper to us is September 4. Thank you for your time!

Abstract (500 words):

Art librarians new to their position, whether in the beginning of their career or established as mid-to-late career librarians, are tasked with developing a rapport with their constituents. This often involves negotiating the fall-out of the various strategies utilized prior to their arrival at an institution; updating programming, instructional, or collections policies; and simply absorbing and synthesizing a seemingly staggering amount of information. In cases of positions with long vacancies, it can be imperative to fill in the gaps and nurture existing relationships before embarking on new projects or reaching out to additional stakeholders. While time is the most important and ineffable part of building a presence with and deep understanding of the faculty, students, and researchers you serve, this panel explores strategies that help this process along--keeping the best parts of existing practices while maximizing your own expertise, addressing new and emerging needs in your department(s), and deepening your engagement and embeddedness with your constituents.

Warmly,

Courtney Hunt

Art & Design Librarian Assistant Professor

Pronouns: she/her/hers

The Ohio State University Libraries Fine Arts Library

Wexner Center / Room 040L

1871 N. High Street

Columbus, OH, 43210