Finding aids:

Willard Warren Cummings papers, circa 1911-1997

Willard Warren Cummings (1915-1975) was a painter and co-founder of the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in Skowhegan, Maine.

Demi and Arturo Rodríguez papers, circa 1957-2016

Demi (1955- ) and Arturo Rodríguez (1956- ) are painters in Miami, Florida.

Kathy Vargas papers, circa 1965-2016

Kathy Vargas (1950- ) is a professor and photographer in San Antonio, Texas.

Charles "Chaz" Bojoìrquez papers, 1956-2017

Charles "Chaz" Bojoìrquez (1949- ) is a painter and commercial artist in Los Angeles, California.

Philip Brookman papers, 1977-1993

Philip Brookman is a curator in California and Washington, D.C.

Carlos Almaraz and Elsa Flores papers, 1946-1996

Carlos Almaraz (1941-1989) was a painter and muralist in Los Angeles, California. His wife Elsa Flores (1955- ) is also a painter and muralist. Almaraz and Flores collaborated on the mural California Dreamscape as part of the Chicano street arts movement.

David S. Rubin papers, 1960-2017

David S. Rubin (1949- ) is a curator and art critic in Los Angeles, California.

Andres Serrano papers, 1986-2013

Andres Serrano (1950- ) is a photographer in New York, New York.

Frans Wildenhain papers, 1890-1991

Frans Wildenhain (1905-1980) was a German-born ceramicist, sculptor, and educator active in Rochester, New York.

Francis Sumner Merritt papers, 1930-1980

Francis Sumner Merritt (1913-2001) was a painter, designer, and arts administrator. He was the first director of the Haystack Mountain School of Crafts in Deer Isle, Maine.

Christine Fairsmith interviews of artists, 1981

Christine Fairsmith is the Development and Communications Coordinator at Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey.

Transcripts of oral history interviews with:

D. J. (Debra Jane) Hall (2000)

Philip Hofer (1984)

Kenneth Josephson (2015)

Jack Pierson (2017)

Ferol Sibley Warthen (1981)

James Lesesne Wells (1989)

Stanley H. Witmeyer (1985)

The Archives of American Art is the world’s pre-eminent and most widely used research center dedicated to collecting, preserving, and providing access to primary sources that document the history of the visual arts in America. Founded on the belief that the public needs free and open access to the most valuable research materials, our collections are available to all who wish to consult original papers at our research centers or use our reference services remotely every year, and to millions who visit us online to consult digitized collections.

For more information and content, please follow our blog and subscribe to our newsletter.

Archives of American Art Blog

The Primary Source

*Subscription information found at bottom of page.

Caroline Donadio | Archives Technician

Archives of American Art | Smithsonian Institution

New York Office
300 Park Avenue South | Suite 300

New York, NY 10010

T 212.399.5035

Join us on Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest | Instagram