Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to announce the launch of “MoMA Through Time,” a select history of MoMA and MoMA PS1 as told through objects from MoMA’s Archives.  This interactive microsite allows our archives to come alive, at this moment when the Museum is closed to the public for its current expansion project.  [The Museum reopens October 21.]

Photographs, letters, videos, and ephemera from the archives tell some of MoMA and MoMA PS1’s most ground-breaking, controversial, and wild stories, from the Museum’s 1929 founding by three visionary women to the opening of the new MoMA this Fall. Visitors to the web site can explore Picasso’s epic anti-war protest, the shocking day in 1958 when a fire broke out at the Museum, the moment a vacant public school in Long Island City was transformed into P.S.1, and much more.

MoMA’s rich and storied history is conveyed through moments in time, centered on the objects, documents, audio and video in our archival holdings. Scholarly researchers and the general public will find things both familiar and surprising!

Please visit the site at:

moma.org/interactives/moma_through_time

And enjoy the trailer at:

moma.org/magazine/articles/85

Most sincerely,

Michelle

--

Michelle Elligott

Chief of Archives, Library, and Research Collections

The Museum of Modern Art

11 West 53 Street

New York, NY 10019

T (212) 708 9436