Colleagues,

I have a two-part question:

  *   Does your institution offer a PhD in the arts, specifically in which practice functions as the research?
  *   How does your intuition publish or make available the ensuing creative work? (Proquest Theses has limited capacity for multimedia files and is more geared towards text).

I'm working with a PhD candidate in the Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences who has created a "Special Committee" PhD here at UW-Madison. The bulk of the work is a film, and we're discussing how best to "deposit" it with the library and make it accessible. We're curious how other libraries handle similar situations in which multi-media needs to be archived. The candidate is from Australia and is using a "context model" or "creative work + exegesis" for her PhD (see Milech and Schilo, "Exit Jesus': Relating the Exegesis and Creative/Production Components of a Research Thesis."<http://www.textjournal.com.au/speciss/issue3/milechschilo.htm>

Please feel free to send me responses directly, and many thanks in advance!

Anna

Anna Simon
Art Reference and Instruction Librarian
Kohler Art Library