Hello ARLIS,

I'm working on a particularly challenging copyright question from a faculty member, and wonder if anyone can help me answer a few lingering questions. It's regarding a photograph of a 1933 painting by a deceased artist with no legal heirs, of a relatively famous author, whose estate claims copyright over the work (as far as I'm aware, the photograph itself). The painting itself is at large, and the estate claims copyright over the photograph, which is what my faculty member is trying to use for a publication.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts on this challenging matter!

Best,
Anna

--

Anna Boutin-Cooper | she/her/hers

Research & Visual Arts Librarian Shadek-Fackenthal Library [log in to unmask] | 717.358.3896

Franklin & Marshall College

P.O. Box 3003

Lancaster, PA 17604-3003