Finding Aids:

Ed Clark papers, 1923-2017

Ed Clark (b. 1926) is an abstract expressionist painter who worked in Paris, France and New York, New York.

Victor Mikhail Arnautoff papers, 1920-2017

Victor Mikhail Arnautoff (1896-1979) was a muralist and art teacher in San Francisco, California.

Robert Kushner papers, 1967-2011

Robert Kushner (1949- ) is a painter of the Pattern and Decoration movement and an installation artist, in New York, N.Y.

Luis Cancel papers, circa 1900-1998

Luis Cancel (1952-) is an arts administrator and artist from New York City, N.Y.

Alberto Vargas papers, 1914-1985

Alberto Vargas (1896-1981) was an illustrator in Southern California.

Luis Jimenez letters to Rochelle "Shelly" Shicoff, 1981-1998

Rochelle Shicoff (1943- ) is an muralist, painter, and multi-media artist in Munson, Massachusetts and was a close friend of sculptor Luis A. Jimenez (1940-2006).

Paulus Berensohn papers, circa 1950-2017

Paulus Berensohn (1933-2017) was a ceramicist, dancer, and arts instructor in Penland, North Carolina.

Ruth Teschner Costantino papers, 1923-1981

Ruth Teschner Costantino (1892-1981) was an art dealer based in New York, New York.

William H. Kessler papers on Michael Heizer sculpture project for Michigan State Capitol Complex, circa 1969-1981

William H. Kessler (1924-2002) was an architect active in Detroit, Michigan.

Michael Brenner papers, 1888-1976

Michael Brenner (1885-1969) was a sculptor and dealer active in Paris, France, and New York, New York.

Niel Lovisco papers, 1942-1989

Niel Lovisco (1900-1981) was an art dealer and gallerist active in Rockport and Gloucester, Massachusetts and New York, New York.

Susan Metcalfe and Pablo Casals letter collection, 1915-1918

Susan Metcalfe Casals (1878-1959), mezzo-soprano, was the first wife of the renowned Spanish cellist, Pablo Casals (1876-1973).

Alice Barber Stephens papers, 1884-1986

Alice Barber Stephens (1858-1931) was an engraver and illustrator active in the arts and crafts community established by William Price in 1901.

Transcripts of oral history interviews with:

Donald Barton (1989)

Brian Daniel Butler (2018)

Robert Powell Coggins (1985)

Leroy Davis and Cecily Langdale (2007)

Nan Goldin (2017)

Mervin Jules (1968)

Vladimir Kagan (2010)

Vaino Kola (1991)

Mary-Anne Martin (2009)

Amy Bess Miller (1985)

Marilyn Minter (2011)

Charles Rand Penney (1981)

Liliana Porter (2012)

Athena Tacha (2009)

Nina Yankowitz (2018)

The Archives of American Art is the world’s pre-eminent and most widely used research center dedicated to collecting, preserving, and providing access to primary sources that document the history of the visual arts in America. Founded on the belief that the public needs free and open access to the most valuable research materials, our collections are available to all who wish to consult original papers at our research centers or use our reference services remotely every year, and to millions who visit us online to consult digitized collections.

For more information and content, please follow our blog and subscribe to our newsletter.

Archives of American Art Blog

The Primary Source

*Subscription information found at bottom of page.

Caroline Donadio

Management Support Assistant

Archives of American Art

300 Park Avenue South